NextCloud KDE

Discussion of software apps
wove

NextCloud KDE

Post by wove »

Fedora Kinoite connects to NextCloud on my local network just fine. The NextCloud desktop with the Dolphin plugin, adds the NextCloud data without fan fare, after I have told it to accept the Arch signed certificate. In setting up calendars and contacts in Kontact. it asks to accept the certificate either on a per session basis or on a permenate basis. No matter which option I choose, it lasts until it does a sync with NextCloud and one again I have accept the certificates.

Does anyone know if and where there might be an editable configuration file where I might be able to setup things up so the certificate would be accepted permenately?
wove

Re: NextCloud KDE

Post by wove »

Just to answer my own question on this.

If you visit a site with an invalid certificate in Firefox, clicking on the Shield in the address bar will bring up a box. Digging through the box you will find an option to download a .pem file. With that file downloaded you need to run the following command as root:

cp *.pem /etc/pki/ca-trust/source/anchors/ update-ca-trust extract

These commands work in Fedora and RedHat varients of Linux, I am not sure if they are valid for other distros. If you are running an OSTree build you will need to run "sudo su" rather than a simple "sudo"

This will add the certificate to your system certificates and update the database. On next reboot, you should no longer have problems with the certificate.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

that makes sense that it has to be done like that. Kinda irritating, but it does make sense.
wove

Post by wove »

It took a while to find the info needed. Strangely I think the MacOS has a gui for doing this. And I remembered that on the Mac it does it by importing certificates into the keychain via importing .pem files. As is the Apple way I guess it provides instructions for how to obtain .pem files. Safari does it the same way that firefox does.

So I changed from searcing for how to import certificates in Linux (which produced long and convoluted results) to how to import .pem files which produced simpler and easier directions. A .pem file can be opened with a text editor and is ~1000 hexdecimal numbers. With the Mac gui app you can import the file either for the whole system or limit it to specific user, which I imagine is due to BSD being at the core.