Your input needed

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
CaptNoize

Your input needed

Post by CaptNoize »

So, I was talking with a friend of mine, and he has an Hp Pavilion like I have. He was asking me about Linux Parrot, saying that he thought it would be a good distro for him to install,since he goes to a lot of suspicious sites. ( I think he pursues the dark web, I don't want to know) anyway, what's your thoughts..? I checked out their website, and they look real security oriented. I seen another Linux distro, that was similar, but I can't remember. Any thoughts are appreciated.
crosscourt

Re: Your input needed

Post by crosscourt »

Tell him to look at Tails Linux. It runs in ram and is one of the most secure distros around. Im aware of Parrot but havent had any experience with it.
Parrot I believe is more for testing and penetration(has forensic tools) versus Tails which is just trying to keep you secure. Tlmiller Im sure has had a lot more experience with these types of distros. His older hardware though could be a problem with hardware compatibility.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Your input needed

Post by tlmiller »

The porblem with security oriented distro's is that they're not always the most secure themselves. In order to be able to be effficient at probing for vulnerabilities in other machines, there's things that need to be open. That said, Parrot offers multiple flavors. He should NOT run Parrot Security. Like Kali, this is designed to do pen testing and so has massive vulnerabilities in order to expedite the testing. It's not meant to be used as a desktop. Parrot home, however, is. However, IMO, Parrot Home you can get the same thing from just installing basic Debian with a lightweight desktop such as Trinity and whatever security apps you need. I don't really see a point to Parrot Home.