Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Zorin OS 16.2 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Zorin OS 16.2 released

Post by crosscourt »

Ive decided to use Zorin as my main Linux distro and so far no major issues. Instant detection of hardware, terrific cellphone support, package manager , Flatpak and Sanp supported plus a simple way to run Windows apps that perfect for new and crossover users. Beautiful GUI, a large choice of alternate desktop designs and all of it is a single click. Multimedia works great as codecs are installed by default and even though it uses a custom Gnome Shell, the response is fat and quick in use. Default app choice is excellent and the software store has a huge variety of apps and games you can install with a single stick. If youre looking for a first time Linux distro to try, particularly if your coming from Windows this is the one to try. Its the best distro Ive used in quite some time and has many outstanding reviews online. My goal is to move to Linux completely by 2025 and Zorin I believe will get me there with its excellent design. It gets out of the way and allows you to get things done with ease and the community is there if you need help.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its interesting as many people are wary of Zorin because its just two people primarily in the dev team but they do have volunteers and do hire help as needed. Given the results and how well regarded Zorin is, I think they do a great job. Mepis a very popular distro for many years was primarily done by one person so I dont think people should discount smaller dev teams. Not to mention Zorin has been around quite awhile so its not a new project any more. Zorin 17 should be out second half of this year but frankly theres no real rush.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Looks like Zorin 17 will release later this year and will have a method of upgrading from Zorin 16 according to the devs.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The Zorin OS upgrade tool now exists in beta and will be available to use for Zorin 17 in a few weeks.
Site Moderator