Xfinity speeds jumped up

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Xfinity speeds jumped up

Post by crosscourt »

We were at 100mbps which in my case was actually closer to 120mbps. Xfinity upped our speeds again to 200mbnps. Just tested and our speed is actually closer to 240mbps at the same price. No change in upload speed as they recently went to close to 12mbps.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Xfinity speeds jumped up

Post by tlmiller »

I think they and cox are pushing each other. When I signed up for my account 11 years ago, I signed up for 50/5. I have never upgraded. I now get 300/10.
wove

Post by wove »

I think you folks in metro areas say that to make me jealous. Out here is the rural wasteland I have 15Mbps down and 150Kbps up during the day. They are nice enough to remove the throttle at night. I do not know what it gets to, but I have found if I get and send data at night like 2am it is much much better, but even then I doubt it hits 20% of your speeds.

I do not know what it would take to stream a game, but typically I can not even stream an HD video at a time when I would want to it. If I want to make a photo album of family pictures available to the family, it is much faster to put them on a thumb drive and mail them than it is try and get them uploaded to a cloud sharing service.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Have you looked into satellite internet? You can get speeds up to 300mbps and the price is very competitive. To game its also about latency not just speed.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I like my internet and am always scouting for ways to get better service. Satellite's monthly rate is not horrid, but I have 2 issues with it. First you have to purchased the equipment and have it installed out of pocket and that is pretty expensive. Second my house is surrounded by big trees that cover the lot, meaning I do not have a favorable spot to set it up. A possible third problem is that most satellite providers that have showed up around here have gone bankrupt within a year, leaving lots of people holding the bag.

Rural America is really just third world when it comes to Internet access. I am actually lucky living in a small town. I have friends living a few miles away, who lack internet access and could only get internet access at a huge expense. The in ground or on the pole wiring was put in 40-50 years ago and cannot handle anything beyond 56k modem speeds. Cell phone service is spotty. We live in a valley and very often my phone reports no service.

I do not think there is any internet regulations, and with the deregulation that has been going on for 30 years, there is just no mandate to ensure everyone has access. The companies fight over the big compact markets. Friends that live in the Metro area, have several choices at competitive prices, but once you leave the Metro, you take what is offered and the price they want to charge, or you do without. I think the FCC defines high speed internet as being 25Mbps and that is not even an available option for home users from the providers.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The companies in my area charge a surcharge for the equipment, call it a rental fee but its not bad at all. Many put their satellite dishes on the roof of their houses to try and get past the issues with trees. Cant speak to your area but many of the satellite providers are subsidized by larger providers so I havent seen any bankruptcies so far.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, we don't so much have trees in my area, so can't really contribute much on this topic.
wove

Post by wove »

We are down in the river valley so there are a lot of trees. I grew up in North Dakota which also has very few trees. Once I saw an area with a lot of trees, I knew I wanted to be where there were trees. We have decent cell reception right in town, but once you leave town and go up or down the valley you lose cell reception. It is something of a sleepy little town. Life is peaceful and stress free. I would enjoy a faster internet, but in the scheme of things it is something of a lower priority.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I grew up with a forest in my backyard. So miss the trees. But will never live where I have to deal with daylight savings time again. Until they do away with that, I will never consider leaving Arizona.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Will never give up my trees as right now its beautiful with all the colors. I live in a condo on the top floor right next to a whole grove of trees, including some really huge oaks. Switching time is no big deal but not having trees is a problem for me.
Site Moderator