Monitor Issue

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: Monitor Issue

Post by crosscourt »

It isnt practical nor necessary to play games in VM. Down the road games will be streamed and it wont matter what OS your running.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Windows. Many people use both Linux and Windows and like both.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

It's very practical. Saves a lot of time from swapping back and forth between OS's, and makes for keeping certain insecure OS's secure much easier. However, it's not very FRUGAL. The fact that you need to have enough computing power to be able to give enough CPU & RAM to the VM to be able to play the games, but still have enough CPU/RAM to run the host, AND you have to have 2 GPU's (even though 1 can be an IGP and that's usually how that's done) to be able to pass the higher performance GPU to the guest OS. So yeah, practical from a efficiency and ease view, but not frugal in the least.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats why it isnt practical nor necessary as no one will spend that kind of cash for the extra hardware. You could spend less and have a really nice dedicated gaming system. Practical for a gamer means its not just about if it can be done but is it affordable and reasonable to do. The future of gaming is streaming and thats already beginning to accelerate.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

If the future of streaming is games, you can almost bet that it will derive from VMs or containers running on servers powered by Linux and arriving on the desktop by some variant of RDP. The impractical is what becomes the future.

I think people want to sort this out on their own hardware, for the same reason they build web sites, setup NextCloud servers and use PiHole as a firewall on their network. It is just something interesting, useful and gives you solid control over the workings of things in your life.

One of the fun things with Linux is you are not hanging around waiting for something to bring you the future, but you can follow along with the future in real time.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Games are owned by someone and typically by larger companies who will use proprietary means to stream their product to customers, some companies are separate from the large developers. This could be mobile, console or pc. Xbox already has a cloud service as an example but eventually the hardware and OS wont be a big factor in being able to play games. Certainly a mainstream laptop or computer would be fine even for high end games depending on their design. Youll see more proprietary devices though for game streaming as well. Streaming has grown quite a bit and will certainly impact sales of hardware to a certain extent.

Look here, https://golightstream.com/the-future-of ... deo-games/
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Eh, streaming games still has a way to go. One of the first services for this, Google Stadia, is already shutting down.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Stadia failed because there was no significant reason to use it(rumors of it failing have been around since 2019). There are many other services that offer a wider variety of games and Stadia didnt have any games worth using it. Gamers go where the price and types of games attract them, depending on their platform of choice. By 2025 streaming will be huge part of the market. Many will try to take advantage of the trend but as always happens you have to have something gamers want, otherwise youll fail.
Stadia wasnt one of the first services as streaming has been around since 2001 and many better known services have been around for quite awhile.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I switched the monitors around and found that the Hp was still going off. I'm pretty sure it's a cap.. But, at this point, I don't even want to mess with it. The new monitor should be here on Thursday.
BTW... I was wrong on the size of the Vizio tv I swapped out. It's a 24" not a 27" ... :roll:
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

CaptNoize wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:33 am I switched the monitors around and found that the Hp was still going off. I'm pretty sure it's a cap.. But, at this point, I don't even want to mess with it. The new monitor should be here on Thursday.
BTW... I was wrong on the size of the Vizio tv I swapped out. It's a 24" not a 27" ... :roll:
24" 1080P? I actually like that. 27" 1080P IMO makes everything too large unless you've got a REALLY deep desk.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Same here, much prefer a 24inch 1080P monitor for gaming and general use.
Site Moderator