Monitor Issue

Discussion of hardware related issues
wove

Re: Monitor Issue

Post by wove »

I use a 27" Vizio TV as a second monitor on my desk. It works pretty well. I enjoy that it has all the inputs so I can toss something on the desk, plug it in switch inputs and use a different OS. It is hooked to the antenna in the attic, so I can watch over the air TV, and it has "apps" so I can listen to radio, YouTube and some other junk as well. And perhaps nicest it can play movies off a thumb drive, so I can go to the lounging chair and watch a movie.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Do you actually use your desktop tlmiller? Dont you spend all your time on laptops. Even most gamers dont use dual displays. Most opt for one large large display. I went with a 24in monitor because my eyes have difficulty with a wider viewing range. Its easier to stay focused with the right sized display.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:49 pm Do you actually use your desktop tlmiller? Dont you spend all your time on laptops. Even most gamers dont use dual displays. Most opt for one large large display. I went with a 24in monitor because my eyes have difficulty with a wider viewing range. Its easier to stay focused with the right sized display.
I use it a lot in the mornings before work, and when I wanna play games I use it since it's the only thing that has a Windows install on it, and it's often easier to just user Windows to game. But it's not CONSTANT use, no.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Youre last comment to me in a thread was that you hadnt gamed in over a month so I got the impression you dont use your desktop a lot. Even pro gamers though tend to stick with a single large monitor usually 27inch minimum, or larger.
I like my mini pcs because they use less power, are quieter and I really like being on a larger display. I save my other desktop for gaming.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I mean, I did boot to Windows this weekend to get the Win10 22h2 update, and played a game while I was booted to Windows. Apparently it had been...a while since I booted, in fact I hadn't even noticed I got the Grub update that disables os-prober so I hadn't had the OPTION of booting to Windows in a while. But 99% of the time I use it it's on the Linux boot anyway. Of the 3 games I "actively" play, 2 of them work just fine on linux. And TECHNICALLY the 3rd does as well, just as soon as you load a mod it crashes on steam linux. And I only play a mod, not the base game. So that I do have to play on Windows.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got about 20 games right now on Win11, but I spend most of my time in Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries, Mechwarrior Online, Doom the newer version, and Quake 2 the RTX version(ray tracing makes it look amazing and gameplay actually improves a bit) runs at 57fps with my settings on high. I dont dual boot anywhere as Ive had problems at times in the past and honestly its not that important to me.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I have to dual boot, as there's no chance Windows will get a whole machine to itself. Way too inadequate of an OS to do that.
wove

Post by wove »

Is is possible to do gaming on Windows running in a VM or is that just too much overhead?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Windows isnt inadequate its just different and to be frank for my needs its incredibly adequate. Just depends on how you use you system. I find both Linux and Windows as excellent OS.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

wove wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:49 am Is is possible to do gaming on Windows running in a VM or is that just too much overhead?
It's quite possible, but requires 2 video cards. 1 to drive the host, the other to pass through to the VM.
crosscourt wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:53 am Windows isnt inadequate its just different and to be frank for my needs its incredibly adequate. Just depends on how you use you system. I find both Linux and Windows as excellent OS.
Here I just can't agree at all. Windows is a highly inadequate OS for doing anything other than playing games.