NAPA BATTERIES

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
CaptNoize

NAPA BATTERIES

Post by CaptNoize »

I bought a NAPA battery for my car back on 08/2020.I chose NAPA, because their part store is right near my home,and the luck I've had over the years,has been excellent. On a 5 year warranty, I always exceeded the life of the battery and warranty. Not so, this time. I started having problems with my car starting about a month ago. Slow,sluggish starts. Then, Sunday afternoon, the infamous turn of the key, and click,click.HATE..!😠 I was able to to charge it, and got it started. I have alot of tools, but no battery checker. Not a good one,at least. So I took it to NAPA yesterday,after leaving it on the charger all night. It said it needed charged. That right there told me it had a bad cell. I was able to acquire a new one this morning. Even with the pro rate warranty, it still cost me $80.00 . These Pro Rate Warranties are a ripoff. I always thought they were. Nevertheless, I urge everyone to check their car battery. Nothing sucks worse, than when your car won't start in the Winter....! Ugh..! :x :x :x
crosscourt

Re: NAPA BATTERIES

Post by crosscourt »

NAPA batteries have never done well for me as I have on of their stores near me. Diehard and Interstate have been much better always exceeding their warranteed life. If you indeed had a bad cell, have you checked your electrical system, alternator in particular that can lead to issues such as that.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I talked with my mechanic,and he said it was probably the battery. If it acts up again,then I will have the alternator checked. The alternator isn't running hot, a telltale sign of a bad or overcharging alternator. Sometimes a voltage regulator can go bad,but the dash gauge will show a discharge. I checked all the relays in the main fuse panel, and none were warm or hot. Let's hope that solved the problem... :roll: :roll: :evil:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Typically its usually a bad diode in the alternator but other forms of electrical system issues can affect batteries. Assuming distilled water was used its pretty uncommon to see just one cell die.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

My car is old... So tomorrow,what I 'll do is start it up, take the Negative battery cable off the battery, and if it keeps running, the alternator is good. If it dies, the alternator is bad. I forgot that old trick. You can't do it with newer cars, it will mess up the computer. This car has an OBD 1 port. A rudimentary computer. Not like these ones today. These ones today suck. Unless you have a scanner, you can't diagnose any electrical system problems on new vehicles. :roll: :roll: :evil:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Even testing that way the alternator diodes could be bad and causing issues. Resistance is as much a problem as not producing enough current. A very slight steady strain due to the alternator can take a toll on the battery. Check all your cable connections including the starter and make sure they are clean and tight.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Checked the cables, and unplugged the Negative wire from the battery. Car still ran. Everything seems ok. I will keep an eye on it for awhile, just to be sure.