Surface Go2 with Fedora

Discussion of hardware related issues
wove

Surface Go2 with Fedora

Post by wove »

It was raining today, so I decided to delve further into Linux on the Surface Go2. Last evening I spent a good amount of time reading through the Surface Linux github pages. It is very well organized and has a vast amount of information on installing and using Linux on surface devices. From what I read I gathered the vanilla gnome is probably the best fit if you are mainly interested in using a Surface device as a tablet. Further reading revealed that for the Surface Go and Go2 Fedora supports most everything out of the box.

So I blew out Pop OS and installed Fedora 36. Between MS's seeming making it very hard to install anything but Windows on the device and my making a few mistakes, it took a lot longer than it should have. But in the end it was really worth it.

Once installed one would almost assume the Surface Go2 was built to run Fedora workstation rather than Windows. Everything works out of the box except for the cameras. Sensors are all functional, so screen rotation, ambient light adjustment, special keyboard keys, volume buttons, SD card reader and pencil all work on first boot.

Gnome/Fedora did a wonderful job of making scaling so the 1080p 12" screen is clear, clean and crisp. The Gnome DE is easy to use via touch. The on screen keyboard pops up when needed for text when in tablet mode and does not appear when the Surface keyboard is connected.

I am one happy camper, this is actually a much more usable machine with Fedora Linux than it was with Windows. I read that Fedora Silverblue runs as well as the Fedora workstation, so in a couple weeks when V37 is released, I might switch this over to Silverblue.
crosscourt

Re: Surface Go2 with Fedora

Post by crosscourt »

Glad that worked out for you. If Fedora would extend their support period I might use it but my experience with Fedora hasnt been as good as yours.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I suspect Fedora will not change their release cycle from every six months with support for nine months and I would like to see something along the lines of an LTS version. But I guess the LTS version of Fedora is RHEL.

The Fedora install also added the repositories for the Surface Linux project and from the Linux Vendors Firmware group. My Surface needed a storage firmware update and Fedora installed it. Firmware updates as part of Linux upgrades is pretty nice. In the case of my Surface it really means I have no need to have Windows on it to keep the hardware up to date.

Maybe I have good luck with Fedora, but I like to think it is do to the proper rituals I follow in sacrificing a chicken.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

As long as it is sacrificed in such a manner that it can still be deep fried, I am completely ok with such sacrifice.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

LOL!!
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

After reading your post I decided to give Linux another try on my Surface Pro 3 (which had been sat in a drawer since my last attempt) and went with Fedora (and Gnome) to find everything was working as expected! even both cameras! I'm thinking my initial Linux install was less impressive because I tried using Xfce and I think it is Gnome (and Wayland) that makes this tablet/laptop work properly.

With that in mind I decided to give Debian (Bullseye) another try and use Gnome as desktop and once again everything appears to be working as it should although for anyone reading this please note you will most likely need to use the "unnoficial" installer with firmware to complete the install.

Thanks for posting your findings and re-igniting my desire to get Linux installed on it. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Glad yours worked out as well as there is nothing more frustrating than to have hardware sitting around that you cant use.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

Absolutely, I'm not a fan of Gnome desktop but everything works so I will just have to count by blessings :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Same here, I dont care for Gnome unless its heavily customized such as with Zorin.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I also have a medion akoya, which is a 10 inch laptop with full swinging hinge to use as a tablet, and 1080p touchscreen, and have just installed it on there too, the difference is quite substantial! It's a pretty slow Atom machine but it now has a bit more use as the keyboard was broken and not worth the expense of replacement and so it was another sitting in a drawer machine that has come back to life. :)