Void Linux

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: Void Linux

Post by tlmiller »

Well, after several months of having Void on bare metal, it's finally irritated me to the point where it's getting removed from bare metal again and going back to VM only testing. NetworkManager has broken the "connect automatically" so that you have to manually connect to networks, you have to install and activate elogind now to be able to shutdown as a user from the gui (for KDE, at least). They're still missing MOST of the KDE Games which I actually like several. Etc, etc, etc. Long story short, Void continues to show great promise, but they're becoming like Ubuntu just with Flatpak. Oh, just install that via flatpak is their answer to anything. So if you're not a fan of a fully flatpak install, Void is to be avoided going forward.

Which in the same vein, if anyone has any interesting OS's they think I should try on bare metal let me know about them. Note, nothing based on Arch (I already use Endeavour, and seriously doubtful if anything will be better than that), Debian (no Debian-based distro has ever come CLOSE to being as good as Debian with the singular use case of Q4OS Trinity), or Ubuntu (I hate snaps).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im at the point where I want the distro to just work with as little fuss as possible. Im using Peppermint which is Debian based, Zorin, Q4OS KDE and Neon, thats it.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Personally I enjoy building something I like on a convenient base of which Debian I am most familiar with and works very very well across a wide range of machines. Endeavor is more complex, but has the newer stuff. Alpine Linux and Void Linux are doing some very interesting stuff, but for me they still need a bit more maturity to dive into.

For systems I fixup and give away, I install Endless OS. Debian based OSTree system with flatpack based software makes for a capable and stable system, that people can use successfully without needing to pester me about problems. I use older Lenovo hardware because it very Linux friendly. My big rig personally machine has Fedora SilverBlue a Fedora OSTree build, which I find has all the advantages of Endless, but uses a vanilla Gnome and has newer software. In an interesting nod to Linux cooperation Endless uses RedHat's toolbox to create containers, so if you create a NextCloud container on Endless, it is essentially identical to a NextCloud container created in SilverBlue.

I use VMs to look at different DEs, just to see if anyone is doing something different. I have been looking for a nice implementation of AfterStep/OpenStep. I am also looking at older and newer OSes. I like BSD a lot, and I am still trying/hoping that Haiku reaches a usable maturity and I have been playing around with AROS, which is a Linux(?) base Amiga like OS, and for giggles, I like to look at OS/2 and still dabble with emulators for the old Commodore machines and the old Mac machines.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Systems that I ghive away I typically install Linux Mint and Zorin as they are really easy to use and offer a similar experience visually to Windows.
Site Moderator