Yes, I might underutilize my NAS...

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Yes, I might underutilize my NAS...

Post by tlmiller »

Was checking on transmission running on the NAS, updating some of the ISO's that I torrent to new versions. Thought this little bit of info was humorous.
ksnip_20220920-110726.png
ksnip_20220920-110726.png (3.83 KiB) Viewed 580 times
crosscourt

Re: Yes, I might underutilize my NAS...

Post by crosscourt »

Got me beat as the most Im using right now is 4tb of storage.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

That is a lot of data. It is none of my business, but I am curious as to what all you store. My biggest storage device is 850GB of which about half is full. The IdeaCentre came with a 500GB drive of which I am using ~180GB, which includes a half dozen virtual machines. My NextCloud server has a 128GB drive, which essentially holds my /home and it is less than half full. And I have always felt I keep a lot more stuff than I need. So anyway I am just curious as to what fills up a terabyte.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

In my case my Ryzen gaming system has a 2tb ssd, but my wife stores a lot of projects and videos so she needs a lot more space, 4tb is almost not enough.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

wove wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:33 pm That is a lot of data. It is none of my business, but I am curious as to what all you store. My biggest storage device is 850GB of which about half is full. The IdeaCentre came with a 500GB drive of which I am using ~180GB, which includes a half dozen virtual machines. My NextCloud server has a 128GB drive, which essentially holds my /home and it is less than half full. And I have always felt I keep a lot more stuff than I need. So anyway I am just curious as to what fills up a terabyte.
I mean, it's a lot of storage, but if you do the math, I only have a bit under 200 GB stored on there. Another way of saying that is that I'm using 1.8% of the total storage capacity. MOST of that is my .mp3 files. Then 1/2 of what's left after the music is my .iso's (I keep archived Debian isos. I have all 3 install DVD's of the last version of Debian 8, 9, 10, and the current netinstall of Debian 11, plus all the other install iso's I test), Then there's my Windows software for reinstalls of Windows, and finally my backups. Most of that is just dotfiles for reinstallation, and then various other config's that it's easier to save the config file than rewrite.
wove

Post by wove »

“tlmiller” wrote:I only have a bit under 200 GB stored on there. Another way of saying that is that I'm using 1.8% of the total storage capacity
I was looking at the total storage 10.9GB and that is close to an unimaginable amount to me. 200GB stored on there not huge amount more than my NextCloud. A terabyte is a huge amount of information. I like to read and read a lot, but I doubt over the course of my entire life I have read a terabyte of text. Assuming a page is ~1K there is what a million pages in a terabyte?

Big drives do seem to be the norm now. Most any new laptop/desktop comes with a terabyte of storage and I am curious if people use that much storage. My first machine had a 140K floppy and the first with a hard drive had 20MB. I recall upgrading that to 160MB and being sure I could never fill it up. But of course I did. Currently I find that 250GB I plenty ample for a working machine, and the 850GB drive is enough to meet my backup/archive needs.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I do tend to like storage. 5/8 of my laptops have a 2TB SSD. 2/8 have a 1TB. Only the last one, the Lenovo K14 that can ONLY hold a 2242 drive, no physically larger, has a mere 512GB drive. And I have found 2TB drives for it. But they START @$250...and I just don't need that. My desktop only has 1TB drives, but it has 3 of them, and a small 512GB drive, for (pre-formatted) 3.5 TB of storage capacity.

As far my NAS, it's a 4x4TB RAID-5 NetGear ReadyNAS 314. It's an older model, and long out of warranty, and actually went EOL last year. However, it's still working well, so I keep it. And I got it for a great deal, since it was free with the drives included. I only have 1 3rd party app installed on it, transmission torrent server, so that 24/7 I'm torrenting the latest Debian netinstall iso, the latest EndeavourOS iso, the latest KDE Neon iso, and the latest OpenSUSE LEAP installation iso (although I use Tumbleweed not LEAP, the iso for that is updated ENTIRELY too often for me to keep up).
wove

Post by wove »

Seeding torrents, that is pretty cool. My internet has horrid upload speeds. I always seed, but usually by the time I download and iso I have only uploaded 150K. I will usually just let it run overnight, but even after all night, I have rarely uploaded more than just a few meg. I generally download an iso via torrent, so maybe when I have download Endeavour you have been feeding me, thanks :)

My machines and router have decent speeds and that is why I use my own NextCloud server as opposed to online storage. My old PowerMac G5 has RAID built in and it saved my butt when one of the hard drives failed.

Just an aside here. A business called a few years back when their server went down. I had worked on it before and knew it had drives setup on a RAID. So I said "What's the problem, didn't the other drive kick in?" It turned out it was a Windows Server, and Windows license only allows for one active copy of Windows to be on one machine and the activated copy was on the drive that died. I had to go down there, and do a whole bunch of nonsense fiddling to get the copy of Windows Server on the still working drive activated before it would come back up. I just remember thinking that Window Server is really stupid and that really defeats the purpose of having a RAID. I gather that MS really wants you to have a license for each drive.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, almost everything Microsoft has moved to the Oracle style licensing to hose their customers and make everything more complicated when trying to figure out how many licenses of something you actually require. Even the "free" Hyper-V is a total PITA if you exceed the limits of what you're allowed to use for free and need to get Enterprise licensing.