Have finally figured out I have a bad board

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Have finally figured out I have a bad board

Post by tlmiller »

So, ever since I went to the SN750 in my T14 G1A, had issues that it would occasionally crash with the drive showing whatever the last partition on it went read only. At first I thought it was JUST the failing 2242 drive that was in there. But after removing that, it kept happening (although WAY less often). Figured I bought a bad drive (the 2242 was several years old, definitely was fine when I got it, the SN750 I just recently purchased lightly used), oh well, wasted money (long past the return time, and while I could TRY to warranty, since I wasn't the original owner, no guarantees it would succeed). So I bought a replacement and swapped it out. Happened on the new drive (and this one is NEW NEW), and the SN750 that I threw in the Inspiron 7415 has had not a single issue since. So, when I had this motherboard replaced due to the failed BIOS update (like 6+ months ago), they sent a slightly bad board (and this may even be what led to the 2242 drive dying, I had verified it was dying in other machines and even a USB adapter, though).
So now at some point I need to call this in and have (another) new board installed. :( Still, about a year and a half left of warranty, and it doesn't affect usage THAT much, so not expecting I'll be doing that for at least a couple months still. But maybe. Kinda sucks that I got a bad board for a perfectly good board (just bricked BIOS), but that's what happens with warranty repairs.
crosscourt

Re: Have finally figured out I have a bad board

Post by crosscourt »

Thankfully its been a long time since Ive had any warranty issues on any hardware. I use a lot more oem systems now and overall they have been less prone to issues versus the systems I use to build with separate parts. I remember the many issues I had in the old days with various motherboards going all the way back to my Abit 440BX motherboards. My modern systems have been very reliable.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Have finally figured out I have a bad board

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, this is the first out of the ordinary hardware failure I've had since I had my old (read, Athlon FX 8320) desktop had the onboard audio kick it.