Project with DigitKam and Krita

Discussion of software apps
wove

Project with DigitKam and Krita

Post by wove »

It was my grand daughters birthday last week. She is very close to her grandmother. For her birthday I used Krita and Digikam to create a mosaic picture of her and grandma. I created a giant canvas in Krita. I used DigiKam to create an album containing pictures of grand daugher, grandma, the two together and added events from grand daughter’s life. It has about 1700 pictures in total.

I created a layer on the huge blank canvas with a nice picture of the two on one layer and then added another layer and began adding pictures from the album using DigiKam’s color search feature to find pictures of the right hue. Then place the pictures like tiles eventurally recreating the first layer in image with the pictures used as tiles. I then deleted the background picture layer, leaving only the layer of tiled pictures.

The final png is about 140MB is size. When opened to “fit screen” it is a recognizable picture of grand daughter and grand mother. But as you zoom into the picture the individual pictures that make up the mosaic become visible in their own right. So you end up with a 1700 +/- photo album that is a mosaic picture of the people the photo album is about.

I am just guessing it took about 20 hours to put it together. The photos and the project as it evolved were kept on the NextCloud, so I could work on it from any machine I happened to be at/on. And while I am really biased I think it turned out pretty well.
crosscourt

Re: Project with DigitKam and Krita

Post by crosscourt »

Its nice being able to do projects like that for friends and family.
Site Moderator