HALO EPISODE 1

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
chris

Re: HALO EPISODE 1

Post by chris »

I've watched Halo Ep 1 on Terrestrial TV. Is it worth getting Paramount to watch the rest? Or will/do all episodes end with the magic box getting the master chief out of the current problem like in Ep 1?
Similarly, I'm currently watching La Brea Ep 1. Is it just like Lost or worth continuing? I.e. subscribing.
Cheers all.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

La Brea isnt like Lost and is not worth watching. I wouldnt bother watching Halo and frankly enjoy playing the video game versions far more.
Site Moderator
chris

Post by chris »

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll give Paramount+ a miss for now, then.
CaptNoize

HALO EPISODE 2

Post by CaptNoize »

Started watching Halo again,since I got Paramount+ I found episode 2, way better than watching ANY mind numbing repeat, or reality show. Way better than La Brea, which never finished, and left us hanging. This is NOT a video game, this is a TV show. I think the acting, special effects,and storyline are excellent.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I play the whole Halo game collection so for me watching the Halo just doesnt do it for me. For those inclined its probably a great watch but for many I doubt it will get their interest. Glad youre enjoying it.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Keep in mind, I don't play video games. The only time I use a computer, ( which seems to be alot, recently) is if I'm doing research, or buying something online. I still use a flip phone, since smartphones don't survive my abuse, and are too big and bulky. I 've been watching the Halo series late at night.
wove

Post by wove »

I do not play video games either and when you go look at reviews for a movie based on a video game the bulk of the review is based on how faithful the movie is to the game, which is not a helpful review at all.

The other day I watched Doom. I decided to watch it because Rosamond Pike starred in it and she was quite excellent in Gone Girl and Jack Reacher. Doom wasn't a very good movie. Most special effects and CGI are always done dark. Maybe they are done that way to set the mood, but I think more likely they are kept dark, so the viewer has trouble seeing just how bad the effects/CGI are.

I had a flip phone for years and it was always adequate for my needs. Then it quit working on the network and I had to update. I was going to get a new flip phone, but they were more expensive than a smart phone, so I ended up buying a smart phone.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Hey Capt I realized you dont play video games. What I was saying was anyone whos played the Halo games or is presently wouldnt find the Halo tv series that interesting. The games are the tv series with the ability to interact directly in the plot.

To wove, the Doom movie was trying to recreate the feel of Doom 3 the video game which is why it was so dark and corridor driven. In fact they did a good job in creating a similar feel to that version of Doom. The effects/CGI for 2006 were actually very good but the plot and acting needed some major help. Overall though they didnt do that bad a job with the movie and fans of Doom would probably like it overall.

In regards to phones Im the same way Capt as I tend to break my phones a lot. I actually have a simple flip phone I got from Consumer Cellular for $59 and I only pay $20 a month not including taxes.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

We unplugged our land line and tossed the phone. My cell phone just sets where the land line phone use to reside.

There is a scene in the movie Finding Forester:
Actor 1: "I tried to call you, but there was no answer."
Forester: "Oh, that's because the ringer is broke."
Actor 1: "Would you like me to try and fix it?"
Forester: "No, I am the one that broke it. I pay for a phone for my own use, not for others to interrupt me."

My wife at the time says, "Hey that's us!" And it really is. The cell phone in conjunction with KDE Connect does have nice features though. In coming calls do show up on the computer, and if it is someone from my contact list, I will often answer or more likely call them back. Most used with KDE Connect for me and a very nice feature is getting and being able to respond to text messages without any need for interacting with the computer.

I replaced the flip phone with an used iPhone SE from Craig's list. KDE Connect has worked with iPhones for a long time and just a couple months ago I read that the Windows 11 phone app gained that ability. Our phone plan is $7.90 a month with taxes and includes 30 minutes of talk, unlimited text and a gig of data. We have never used all the talk time or any of the data, but we do use the text fairly often.

While Apple gets lots of grief for its closed ecosystem, the iPhone uses CardDave, CalDave and WebDav, so my contacts, pictures and calendar all sync up the NextCloud server. So overall there is no problem using an iPhone in Linux. There is one unexpected "smart phone" feature we use and find a delight. You yell out, "Siri, add bread -or whatever- to the shopping list." Then grab the phone when you go grocery shopping and like magic you have a ready made shopping list. I think that is just the slickest thing.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My Consumer Cellular plan is unlimited talk and text which I need to talk to family and clients, so its a good deal. We use Magicjack for our house phone as I pay $38 a year and can call long distance or local with no additional fees at all and it connects by ethernet and doesnt have to be attached to a PC, except for initial setup. Service has been very reliable and if you buy one off the shelf your purchase price is the cost of the first year of service which includes the Magicjack.
Site Moderator