Windows 11

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Re: Windows 11

Post by crosscourt »

So far there havent been any issues at all, even with recent updates in my case. The July cumulative update installed fine and there have been many additions nade both with apps and features.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So, apparently the 3700X has a fTPM built in. I played a game today, and when I did Windows updates when I was finished, the "sorry, this system isn't compatible with Windows 11" changed to "This PC can run Windows 11". When I looked up the Device Security, it shows an AMD TPM 2.0 chip. Since I know beyond the SHADOW of a doubt I don't have a physical TPM, that must mean that the 3700x has a fTPM, and somehow it got enabled.
Not that I plan on downgrading to 11, but it was interesting to see that. I could have sworn I had read somewhere that the AMD desktop CPU's didn't have the fTPM. Guess that was either wrong or I read it wrong.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Your cpu is not only supported but many in your same situation are using Win11 without issue. Im typing on my Dell 5676 with the 2600 and Im running Win11. I dont see Win11 as a downgrade any longer. Overall performance in games has been higher in Win11 and with recent changes the overall OS is enjoyable to use.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I don't think I'll ever see it as anything but a downgrade until they fix the context menus, the taskbar not showing text, and other issues that make it utterly unusable to me.
wove

Post by wove »

I have not used Windows for a long while. I read that Homebrew can now be installed in WSL as can the nix package manager. I had been thinking of trying out Homebrew to install Qemu and virtualize-manager on wsl to see how well that works. My problem with Windows it that I know nothing about it, have no clue what applications are available for it, or what I would do on it. Most of what I do do and the tools I use to do it are available on systems I like much better than Windows.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

There are so many mod apps for Win11 you can pretty much make it into whatever you like and Powertoy has additional tweaks you can make as well.
I use Windows far more than I use Linux due to my gaming, online forum work and my wife using it for her business. I havent found any shortcomings on Win11 that really bother me or cant be modified to my liking.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

PowerToys is nice. MS Journal is the main app I use on the surface go, But it does not sync with anything and there is no way I have found to export notes to anything else. But it does a nice job of turning a thousand dollar machine into a 50¢ spiral notebook. It is just not an eco system I know much about and I lack motivation to explore below the surface. The Surface Go and IdeaCentre update firmware via applications that only run from Windows, which means I have Windows on a drive somewhere that I can run it from. The Surface Go of course is really Windows only hardware.

When I bought the Surface RT MS gave me 50GB of OneDrive storage for life. They have kept their word, but I have never been very comfortable with cloud storage (anybody's cloud storage) so it has never stored anything beyond whatever MS defaults to sticking in there. I like OneNote, but the free versions store on OneDrive, so I found a grey market site selling MS Office licenses very cheap, so I bought a couple. So my OneNote notebooks are now kept locally, and I just sync them via keeping them on a shared folder on my NextCloud server. However I have been using Zim the same way, with the difference being that Zim does not keep hand written notes.

I just remember the virus disasters of XP, the anti-trust lawsuits, the "Linux is evil" era of MS and well I just never feel comfortable using their stuff.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Most of us stuck to Win2k till the XP situation was solved(SP1 came out pretty quickly) but in the end XP became a very nice OS. Its was the best crossover OS for gaming as you could still play much older games while enjoying newer ones. All of the other stuff was unfortunate and still is, but the fact is, for many of us and what we need and enjoy doing Windows is the best option for now. My friends and I use Linux but its just not our overall OS. Having been in the gaming world for so long, both as a pro-gamer and working on various sites, there was no way around using Windows.
Most of my clients use Windows along with family so I pretty much end up working with it all the time. The last few years I tried to make my goal to finally go to Linux full time but that didnt work out at all.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

22H2 is coming and its going to add more functionality to the taskbar but its going to require Microsoft accounts for everybody including Pro users.
Most of the changes are cosmetic and will answer some of the wants many users have expressed for Win11.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Microsoft never learns as they allowed Spotify to be installedon Win11 without the knowledge of the user. One of my Win11 installs booted and I notice the Spotify app runnng in the taskbar, to my amazement. Instantly uninstalled but it happened without any action from me. It apprently can happen to Win10 or 11 but so far that hasnt happened with me.
Site Moderator