Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

EndeavourOS 22.6 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: EndeavourOS 22.6 released

Post by tlmiller »

Oh sure, they release it literally the day after I installed Endeavour on my new laptop so I'd have to reinstall to test the new image. :(
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I had a feeling when I posted this that after seeing your other post, this might happen.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Today Arch (which also means EndeavourOS) had kernel 6.0 move into production repos. AS well, KDE Plasma 5.26 was moved into production repos. So very large update day for Arch Plasma users.
wove

Post by wove »

tlmiller wrote:Oh sure, they release it literally the day after I installed Endeavour
All the chatter about cli system tools and gui system tools, pushed me to blow out PopOS on my X230 and install Endeavour. So I downloaded a new image and did the install. And then the next day I there is a huge update. So twelve hours after downloading I realize that very soon my Endeavour image will be out of date. Figures.

Overall I have always relied on cli tools for system info. The cli tools are the same for Linux, BSD, AIX, MacOS and they are generally always installed. Learn once use everywhere. All the chatter reminded me that having an OS that puts terminal use front and center is very nice indeed.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, despite being a big fan of gui's, for systems administration, most tasks I'm a big cli fan. For day to day productivity, yeah, I want a gui and I mostly would prefer to be using gui programs. But the systems administration I do prefer the cli stuff.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I can understand that in your job but particularly if Linux wants a larger share of the desktop market down the road, GUI has to take priority and become much better. Even in Windows I have to resort to the command prompt at times.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

The latest installer actually booted the 17" MBP into the live session just fine. It was running well, considering it was running from USB on a 10 year old machine. From what I could tell with the live installer is booted up using drivers for Nvidia. With it working so well, I went ahead and installed it.

I have no clue what happened but the install is worthless. After install it seems to have decided to use the integrated Intel graphics and first gen Intel HD graphics are not very good. The screen is an unreadable mess, almost no icons are present, any area that should have transparency is green. Any time the cursor is moved it disappears. The laptop heats up to about a million degrees, and the battery is draining while plugged into the charger.

I did reinstall thinking something went wrong the first time, but no it was the same after the reinstall. I think I am going to have to give @tlmiller's suggestion a try and look into a Lenovo T580 if I want a big screen Linux machine.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Can you go into the bios and force the use of the Nvidia graphics? Im surprised during the install that there wasnt a way to make sure the Nvidia drivers are installed and working by default. I have laptops much older than yours and havent had any issues and they happen to have both Intel/Nvidia graphics.
Site Moderator