Alienware R10

Discussion of hardware related issues
dai_trying

Re: Alienware R10

Post by dai_trying »

You certainly know more about it than I do, I just can't see the benefit, I can play at 200+fps on my new laptop but in my mind I'm never going to see them and if the game is trying to render all those frames then i would think it is more likely there would be a lag issue, but enough said (by me at least) as I don't actually know enough to hold my ground here :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

One of the things I found most interesting is the R10 in the single drive raid mode is a lot faster than my other Ryzen system using the same NVMe drive in AHCI. Turning on the system it boots in 3 seconds, overall feel of the pc is very quick, and CrystalMark shows about a 11-13% improvement on speed.
Typically it should matter as the Raid isnt Raid even though its using the Raid controller exclusively. Must be a driver or caching issue that improves the speed. Loading for instance in my games has also improved hugely over AHCI. AMD's version of rapid storage technology is really good.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

The RAID setting uses Intel's RST driver, which was designed around being higher performance. The trade-off is that it's also known for being less stable. The AHCI setting will use standard NVMe/SATA (as appropriate) drivers.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

AMD has their own version of RST and so far the drivers have been very stable. Its one of those situations where you actually can tell and feel the difference with the RST/associated features.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Found out how nice the Radeon RX6600 really is as I was playing Quake 2 RTX, a remaster of Quake 2 (done by Nvidia but includes Vulkan support)that also uses ray tracing. The game is gorgeous and runs incredibly well. Its fun replaying it with the newer graphics as I found some things I hadnt seen the first time around.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I finally removed the cage for the HD and added a 120mm fan with some 3M auto tape as its tight quarters for attaching the fan, but it works well. System spends its idle time at 35C, average tasks 47C gaming 53-63C with air cooling.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just updated to Win11 with no issues and was successful changing the system over to AHCI.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just added my video card support. Its a metal support with a threaded piece that you screw up to the card to keep it from sagging.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Newest bios and video card drivers have made a huge difference in both temps and performance. Really enjoying the Ryzen based systems I have and this time the R10 can be upgraded down the road.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Really odd bios problem. The most recent bios has a bug that causes the system to startup by itself. It happens randomly but caught me by surprise last night. The fix is to enable the auto power on feature, select a day then reboot. Onmce your in Windows, restart, disable the feature and reboot again. Lets see if this fixes the issue for now.
Site Moderator