Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Fedora 36 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
wove

Re: Fedora 36 released

Post by wove »

I saw that was released this morning. I went to update my Fedora Silverblue and was notified that there is no update available. So I went to the Fedora Silverblue page and it says that Fedora 35 Silverblue is the latest. I noticed that Distrowatch has a download link for the Fedora Silverblue, but I did not check into it. It is odd that Fedora says the current version for Silverblue is 35, while distr-watch has a link for 36.

I really want to see how well the "distro upgrade" works on Silverblue. All the updates I have gotten since I did my initial install have been unobtrusive and flawless. OSTree has been very nice as far as updates go. Endless OS based on Debian stable which runs on my Pinebook Pro moved from Buster to Bullseye so seamlessly that a user would be hard pressed to even notice a change was made.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

That is odd, although maybe Silverblue due to the amount of work necessary to create it runs a little behind the main OS?
wove

Post by wove »

I read the RedHat press release this morning and they said "It is mostly ready." Fedora 36 showed up in the software center this morning. When I went to download it, it produced errors. The Cicso repository which furnished the h264 codec is reported as not being updated, and "unable to create temp file in /var/. . . " I have noticed with OSTree in Endless OS similar sorts of errors are produced from time to time. In the case of Endless OS those error just go away in a bit and the install is successful and probably the errors on Fedora will sort themselves out as well.

Since the DE in Fedora is built with flatpak I have actually been using Gnome 42 for a month or so, all that needs updating is the core, so update or no I am not expecting to see much of any difference in my system.
wove

Post by wove »

Fedora magazine reported yesterday that the iso for Fedora Silverblue 36 is ready for download. As far as doing an update there is more work to be done. The problem revolves around the rpm fusion repository and other repositories for "patent encumbered" software. While I have those repositories enabled, the only non-free software on the system is the h264 codec furnished by Cisco, which is provided free but is patented software.

I think that is pretty good my whole Fedora install is free and open source with the exception of that one video codec. And overall I do not have big objections to commercial closed source software or using propriatry software when needed and useful.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I updated my VM on my work laptop to 36. Went smoothly. I don't care for Gnome 42. But it's for work, so whatever, it's functional so it'll stay.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just cant get into using Gnome anymore after using KDE.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Yesterday, all the issues blocking the update went away and Fedora Silverblue updated from 35 to 36. It was as seamless as every other update to the system. On boot up there is an options to go back to a previous version, so you can still boot into version 35 if wished.

Overall there are few changes. If you did not like Gnome 41, you are probably not going to like Gnome 42. The only part of the update that bugged me, is that it changed my wallpaper and reverted my dock to the default location on the bottom. That sort of irks me. If I can not mess with systems "root", then the system should not mess with my "home."

The applications are all via flatpack, so the bulk of them have been updated to Gnome 42 versions over the last month. I wanted to see how this update before I fully committed to this OS, and seeing as how smooth is went I am pretty sure I will stick where I am. Over the next few days, I am going to look at putting the ode version (Kinoite) on the x230.