HP Pavilion DC5800 sff

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

HP Pavilion DC5800 sff

Post by crosscourt »

The DC5700 was given to me by my former boss, but the property got rid of a DC5800 so I took it to play with. Its got much better hardware with a full PCIe x16 slot, 8gb of ram, and a E7200 2.53 ghz core 2 duo cpu. The design of the case is much better as the dvd drive and psu swing up to allow quick access to the case innards. Ive got a E8400 3ghz Ill put in it, with the 8gb of ram, and I also have a Geforce Gt 610 low profile I can use, Ill add a 256gb ssd. It can run the core quad cpus and I could put a Geforce 1030 in it and it could turn into a nice old school gaming rig. Ill be running Zorin OS on it and gaming entirely in Linux. This is an early experiment to see what I can do not only with Linux but with older to retro gaming.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: HP Pavilion DC5800 sff

Post by crosscourt »

The news isnt good. This pc would not run with any version of Linux I tried. Immediate kernel panic and after trying 12 different distros with a variety of kernels, my guess is its a bios issue of some type. It works with Windows but I dont need a 14 year old Windows system. I begin to see after reading comments on other sites, that Linux is getting to the point where older hardware isnt guaranteed to work. HP's bios is simply not very good compared to the older Dells Ive tried.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Probably something you already tried, but does HP have something like the Dells for "load optimized defaults"? I HAVE had that fix issues similar to what you're seeing on Dell laptops previously.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Already tried it. My guess is that a newer bios is needed but HP dropped support awhile back and the necessary bios isnt anywhere to be found. Older HP systems have crappy bios, and have a lot of quirks compared to Dell's similar offerings. Pretty much done at this point as its really not worth that much effort.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm guessing the BIOS is the v01.60 Rev.A that's listed as the last release on HP's site?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Yes, apparently the 1.60 Rev A solves the issues but unfortunately thats not even a sure thing. Windows 10 though runs great on it,LOL!
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Gave up but a Dell Optiplex 7010 MT showed up at the trash in mint condition. I installed Zorin on it and its running very well.
Site Moderator