Skanpage

Discussion of software apps
wove

Skanpage

Post by wove »

I do a lot of scanning and was very happy to find this application. More can be read about it here <https://apps.kde.org/skanpage/>. This allows you to scan a page or mulitple pages and/or multiple sides of pages depending on the capabilities of your scanner. I have been using GScan2PDF for a long time for such work and this application is a nicely working replacement for GScan2PDF.

It is a new application and not in the Arch repositories yet, but it is available in the AUR, And installing it from AUR was the first time I had used AUR with Endeavour and it installed without a hitch. Overall I am impressed at how well Endeavour works and how easy it is to follow the excellent documentation it provides.
tlmiller

Re: Skanpage

Post by tlmiller »

I've always been happy using xsane myself. and been scanning a lot of things in recently in order to send documentation of stuff for the new job. Never PERSONALLY could figure out why anyone wanted something other than Xsane, seems easy enough to use to me.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive tried other apps but Xsane is the easiest by far.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

VueScan is the only app that gives you full access to all the features of a scanner - Xsane is just hopeless for things like batch slide scanning even on scanners it claims to support. IMVHE. Yes it costs but so what - it works.
wove

Post by wove »

I used VueScan when MacOS was my daily driver and it is excellent software. That developer has been working on that software for 20 years. It was (maybe still is) focused more toward working with pictures/slides than with documents. I came across VueScan a bit back on flathub and my first thought was "where were you 15 years ago."

I also wondered if my registration for it from a couple decades ago on a different platform would still be valid, which lead me to then thinking that, "Oh my god I am ever a cheapskate."
bin

Post by bin »

Provided you have the original registration details then it will still work - it's a lifetime license.
VueScan does a very good job of anything you put on your scanner!
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I actually never managed to get vuescan to work for me. I have a license through SoftMaker, but never managed to get it working.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Also tried vuescan and it didnt work well at all. For my straightforward scanner needs Xsane worked great.
Site Moderator