Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
wove

Re: Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Post by wove »

Sounds like most jobs, you use the tools "the man" wants to provide for the job. I suppose as long as the work gets done it probably doesn't matter all that much. If everyone is migrating back to Windows, it sounds like the company might be ignoring the productivity of the work force. Windows has a lot of tools, and it is mostly a stable platform to work from.

My biggest annoyance with Windows is has an agenda that it is always pushing. I would think that would drive enterprise crazy. There are updates available.
Edge has been updated, take a tour to see what is new. Pay a bill online and Edge will invariably ask if you would like it to manage your payment methods. "Did you know you can get Outlook on your phone?" There is always something. A nice feature is you do not need to install software to remind you to take a break, because after an hour you just have to walk away ;)

It will be interesting see read how this goes. I assume you will be keeping your Debian and Endeavor install up and running on your personal machines.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

wove wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:37 pm
It will be interesting see read how this goes. I assume you will be keeping your Debian and Endeavor install up and running on your personal machines.
OH yeah, I haven't used Windows as my primary OS personally since the early aughts.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im just the opposite as Im spending most of my time in Win10 due to family, friends and clients. Im hoping I can change that in retirement.
Win10 and Chrome OS are my daily drivers right now.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Chrome OS has a lot in common with SilverBlue, Kinoite and Endless. They update transparently in the background, and the update is finalized by a restart. They all run sandboxed and get their applications from an app store. They all make a "do over" pretty easy. Endless in particular seeks to create a system usable by people who are new to computers and will need to use them without easily accessible tech support.

The last time I used Chrome OS was years ago, before Linux apps were available and before Android apps were available. I was not all that impressed with what I could do. I was on the school board at the time and did see the potential for them in education. I did push to purchase a chrome book for every high school student.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Chrome OS has really evolved and I can use Linux and Android apps if I choose. For mobile use I really enjoy it and system security is never a worry.

If I wasnt doing anything other than everyday things I could get use to using my Chromebox as my everyday computer very easily.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I haven't had a Chromebook that was worthy of being used with Chrome in a long time, but I have used a lot of Cloudready, which is ChromiumOS for generic x86 hardware, and works & acts pretty much identical (but doesn't just decide that hardware is too old to support like ChromeOS). It's not bad, although it's hardware support is...lacking for anything fairly new, nothing 802.11AX worked with it, and several 802.11AC chipsets weren't even supported last I tried it.
wove

Post by wove »

Prior to getting Chromebooks and continuing after we would beg the local business world to donate their old computers/laptops and whatever. After we moved to Chromebooks, the donated computers would typically get Cloudready installed on them. It is a very nice system and does a pretty good job of supporting older hardware. CloudReady has seat licenses same as Google, and they provide a shim that allows for Cloudready to access all the Google Services. I think at that time a Google seat was $35/year and Cloudready charged $25/yr in addition to the Google seat. When you write the check for the whole school it seems horrible, but for what you get it is really pretty reasonable.

The school had its own domain, and we ended up leasing some server hardware from Google which kept all data local, so the system remained useable even when the connection to the internet was broken. The school had been using MS for services and going with Google cut the cost by 75% and we did not have to pay for licenses for MS software on each machine. The biggest benefit though was this was all readily manageable by just normal people. We did send our most tech savy teacher off to a weeklong course on how it works. She returned with manuals and ran a couple evening workshops for the rest of the staff. And bang the school was googlefied.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

In my area there were quite a few schools using Linux. Recently Googlefied schools have become the norm to the detriment of Microsoft. Its so prevalent that its almost become the norm.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

MS is expensive, even with the education discounts. Given how tight the purse strings are in education (and getting tighter all the time since one of the parties of our government refuses to give any money towards educating our children), I can't blame schools for doing it. They can employ less support (since managing them is easier), they can spend less money on licenses, they can spend less money on hardware. They win in every way.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Chromebooks prevent kids from screwing up the installs with malware and damaging files. Ive spent a lot of time cleaning up MS laptops because oif corruption issues. Right now 85% of the local market is Google which was just the opposite a few years ago.
Site Moderator