The three distros I use the most

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

The three distros I use the most

Post by crosscourt »

I have a lot of distros on drives for testing but I always come back to these three distros for most of my needs.
Q4OS Gemini KDE 4.7
Linux Mint XFCE 20.2
Zorin OS 16
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: The three distros I use the most

Post by tlmiller »

I'm even more simple.

Debian
EndeavourOS
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I use Q4OS as my Debian install as thats al it is anyway. They dont even try to make it look like Q4OS with all Debian wallpapers and themes.
Mint is still a really nice distro and their XFCE version works very well.
Zorin is one of the nicest distros Ive ever used and down the road will probably become my Windows substitute.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Feren and Neon are tolerable, Mageia I wish could step up a bit more and change a few things that other distros already do. So many good distros that just miss at many things and eventually you find yourself not using them much.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

So,why not MX 21..? Zorin never worked on any of my machines,without a problem. Q4OS devs pissed me off so bad, I'll never use any of their products. Mint is Ok, I just think MX works for me,better.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

CaptNoize wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:44 am So,why not MX 21..? Zorin never worked on any of my machines,without a problem. Q4OS devs pissed me off so bad, I'll never use any of their products. Mint is Ok, I just think MX works for me,better.
I have to admit I did like MX21 KDE personally. Not enough to make me consider moving from pure Debian, but still, I liked it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

MX21 indeed is very good but it has many niggles that I dont like. It forces me to reconnect every time to my wifi instead of the auto connect thats common in most distros.. MX18 in my opinion was the best Ive used with their distro. Mint just works, Q4OS isnt that different from MX to be honest but it doesnt have the small issues so I find it a bit nicer to use and if I want MX Tools, they can be installed. I run Q4OS as a Debian themed install but find it easier and faster to install.
Zorin on my hardware which in fact is the same as yours Capt,, optiplex 7010 works flawlessly. Excellent hardware support, beautiful GUI and a lot of added features specific to Zorin. Its worked well both with my older and newer hardware. Many people dont like modified Gnome DE's but Zorin has done a nice job overall with this distro.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I'm still running MX 18 Continuum on my shop computer. I was considering changing it to something else,maybe Zorin, but really, I'm just too busy with other things. I tried Zorin ( not a recent version) on the Hp Pavilion in my home,but it didn't work at all. If I get the time, I might try one of your suggestions. Thanks for the info..!
wove

Post by wove »

I like Fedora Silverblue alot and was happily running it. I thought that some of the limitations I was having with Boxes might stem from it running as a flatpak. I switch over to PopOS which is very similar in UI, but is .deb based and so the virtualization software can be installed directly in the system. It was a pretty easy switch. I have been using deja-dup to keep my home folder backed up so I can be up and running again in very little time.

PopOS' UI differs from Fedora's UI in that workspaces are displayed vertical rather than horizontal, so you move workspace up and down rather than left to right. PopOS also has keyboard shortcuts front and center, and as much as I like swiping about, it is often nice to work without moving your hands from the keyboard. They also have different themes and icons, but over the years I have look at so many different themes I have gotten to the point I really do not care.

Of course I use Win 11 on the Surface Go. And it is UI from hell incarnation #5, which I also do not care about it since I moved to it from the UI from hell incarnation #4 and if it lasts long enough I will get to experience the UI from hell incarnation #6.
bin

Post by bin »

MX has many good points when it comes to software packages in their own repos.
However it does a lot of things that I find plain stupid and try as I might I just cannot be bothered to fight with those.

OTOH Sparkylinux is one of those well kept secrets and has been my daily driver for some time now.

Still fiddle with TDE in a VM as I do like it.