KDE 5.23 released

Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

KDE 5.23 released

Post by crosscourt »

Phoronix reported that KDE 5.23 was officially released today.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: KDE 5.23 released

Post by tlmiller »

Just finished updating to this on my work computer.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Surprisingly, npreining didn't have this ready already. :D

The last few updates he had them ready on his site before even KDE Neon had them ready.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ill wait to see if Feren heads in this direction, but Im pretty happy with the 5.20.5 version Im using on most of my distros.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Mr. Preining hasn't posted that this is availble yet, but happened to do updates today on the laptop I changed my sources to plasma523, and the packages are at least MOSTLY available now for Debian. I am now running the release version of 5.23 on that Debian install.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Not a fan. MOST of the desktop effects are gone now, 5.23 is by far the ugliest KDE since back in the 5.6 era...

Edit - they also broke the ability to login to SDDM with a domain ID. Now if you click on "other" to login with a domain id, it only gives you a username field, no password, so you can't login. Have to login at CLI, kill SDDM, and startx to work until that's fixed.
bin

Post by bin »

tlmiller wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:46 pm Not a fan. MOST of the desktop effects are gone now, 5.23 is by far the ugliest KDE since back in the 5.6 era...

Edit - they also broke the ability to login to SDDM with a domain ID. Now if you click on "other" to login with a domain id, it only gives you a username field, no password, so you can't login. Have to login at CLI, kill SDDM, and startx to work until that's fixed.
You did say that the packages were MOSTLY available. Perhaps there are more to come?
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, the domain issue is on KDE Neon, not Debian, which was fully finished. The desktop effects are intentional, as per a VERY small bit of the changelog:
Remove Xrender backend. Commit.
Effects: Remove Desktop Cube Animation effect. Commit.
Effects: Remove Desktop Cube effect. Commit.
Effects: Remove Cover Switch effect. Commit.
Effects: Remove Flip Switch effect. Commit.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Some of the issues Ive encountered with Feren OS apparently were caused by Neon so since they decided to go this route things are not as stable as they use to be.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Not all that surprised. Neon was never designed for stability, it was designed as a way to show off the latest Plasma desktop in a usable form. And it does succeed marvelously at it's goal. But yeah, if there are issues with the released version of plasma, there are issues with Neon.