Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

Firefox 93 released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Firefox 93 released

Post by tlmiller »

Just updated the last of my machines (the desktop) to this this morning. I honestly can't tell the difference from the last few versions, they all seem to work just fine to me.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Same here.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Some of the website glitches appear to have gone away.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

Firefox's planned introduction of unidentified sponsored searches is somewhere I don't think I want to go.

https://www.theregister.com/2021/10/08/ ... h_results/
wove

Post by wove »

I feel sympathy for Firefox. The world seems to be motivated by popularity, and financed by advertising. I use Firefox less and less. I am doing the majority of my browsing in Gnome-Web (Epiphany) which is built on webkit. Most sites I visit see me as using Safari.

I think the Register was a bit harsh. It is true the shinny button opts you in (shinny buttons are more popular), but there is a button to opt out. There are extensions to stop most any browsers janky behaviour. One can also setup something like PiHole to seal your data off from the rest of the world. I do not like they way outfits on the web try and track you and profit from your browsing. I do believe though that a person needs to accept responsibility for their own safety.

It would be nice if Firefox did not have to go this route to raise money, but it does I guess and I think it is a demonstration of trying to be decent that the user is provided a simple button to opt out. You are being tracked anyway and if you opt in the financial gain is going to support a product you do use rather than the usual snake oil salesmen.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Firefox has been fair and quite open so I have no issues with them. They allow you to opt out and control security settings and for me I still prefer Firefox over the Chromium based browsers.
Site Moderator