Gnome OS

Discussion of software apps
wove

Gnome OS

Post by wove »

I had seen mentions of this, but was not really sure what it is. It does appear as a downloaded img in Gnome Boxes. It is a pre-configured VM and it purpose is to create a testing and development environtment for Gnome. It is pre-configured to create a Gnome environment built on what Gnome considers to be minimal system requirements.

I have no idea what is uses for the core. All applications some from flatpak, so the applications are all release versions. I suppose that would mean that what is updated "nightly" is the more core components of the Gnome DE (mutter?, GTK4? shell?).

It does seem stable and pretty snappy. If you are curious as to what Gnome is up to it provides a simple way to follow along.
bin

Re: Gnome OS

Post by bin »

Gnome OS is the reason why GTK has become a pile of poo for the rest of the world.

Nothing against Gnome per se - in many ways I find it easier than Plasma - but shutting down a machine should not take more than 2 clicks - and having to install some extension to be able to do that is just a sign of how they think.
wove

Post by wove »

I fully agree about shutdown. I can think of no reason behind the amount of clicking Gnome needs to shut down.

Last evening I was doing some editing on OpenStreetMap using Gnome Maps. I had Maps open full screen in one workspace. The Gnome Web browser open in another and a notebook with my list of notes on what I wanted to do and a music player open in a 3rd space. Maps and Web open full screen are heavy on content with the UI elements unobtrusive. I can easily swipe from work space to work space. It is nice uncluttered distraction free setup. And that is what I like about the Gnome DE.

A similar workflow can be created using Activities in Plasma and you gain the advantage of saving the setup to reuse it. I find the feel of Gnome to be a bit more fluid and organic. And I appreciate Gnome's efforts to keep applications clutter free. Gnome is not very good if you are just noodling about, checking out features and software and seeing what is happening, what is new. For me Gnome really shines when you have a specific task you want to just grind through until it is done.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

wove wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:45 pm A similar workflow can be created using Activities in Plasma and you gain the advantage of saving the setup to reuse it.
This is the killer for me. I WANT IT TO REMEMBER how I'm set up. I don't want to have to reconfigure everything EVERY TIME, and that's simply not an option anymore on Gnome. As the Gnome 40 branch gets more mature, I see more and more that there's simply no future for me on Gnome. It has went from something I find unattractive and unintuitive to something that purposefully blocks me from working in an efficient manner.
wove

Post by wove »

When I use to be responsible for making sure other people were productive I found that many people are just productive and your best bet is to stay out of their way and let'em work. Some had potential and if they mentored with those productive they would pick up the habits and get productive. Some were never very productive, but were things they could do with prodding. Some of course could not find their backsides with both hands and needed to be terminated before they brought the whole shop down.

I am old and so no one expects me to be productive and in that I do not disappoint. I do things that I find interesting and I purposefully look for new ways to do things in hopes of learning something new. Editing openstreetmap using Gnome Maps running on Gnome OS inside Gnome Boxes on Fedora 34 SilverBlue is about as far out on the branch as I go.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im very mainstream so youre way out of the box compared to me.
Site Moderator