Gnome 41 released

Discussion of software apps
wove

Gnome 41 released

Post by wove »

Here is the release announcement. <https://foundation.gnome.org/2021/09/22 ... 1-release/>

I have not tried it yet. Gnome does not seem real popular on this forum. I read with the Gnome 40 series that Gnome wants to move from a desktop environment to full blown platform. Making themselves on par with Mac, Windows, Android, Chrome, iOS. Probably what will be the main upsetter for most is that will really kill of a lot of customization.

I read that over half of all bug reports for Gnome software is related to UI issues caused by customization's to the Gnome UI. They have added lidadwaita to their api mix, which very much will tie software to gnome's stock theme. The upside being that developers will have a clearly defined target and the tools to reach that target. Anything that makes for better software is a big plus in my book.
crosscourt

Re: Gnome 41 released

Post by crosscourt »

I dont hate Gnome, it just doesnt suit my needs. I ran Gnome 2 for years and was using Ubuntu Gnome before Ubuntu made the move away from Unity.
Back then I was running a lot of older hardware and just couldnt run Gnome with its high resource usage.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

The wider impact of what Gnome is up to is a bit worrying.

https://www.osnews.com/story/133955/gno ... not-happy/

Looks like I may have to shift to (gulp) Plasma after all :o
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, the writing's been on the wall since GTK4 was announced and all the features they were removing.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Plasma isnt so bad.
Site Moderator