Plasma by KDE 5.22 released

Discussion of software apps
crosscourt

Re: Plasma by KDE 5.22 released

Post by crosscourt »

MX Linux makes it much easier to use backports using their MX package installer. Having more choices in backports would be great but my point was I want more distros that allow users to do this more easily.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Plasma by KDE 5.22.5 released

Post by tlmiller »

5.22.5 released yesterday. I actually thought it was releasing this COMING Tuesday, so hadn't checked. Only realized it was released when I did an update on my desktop and saw it downloading all the 5.22.5 versions. :)

As always, more information can be found here.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Finally installed this on my work laptop today. Been meaning to since Wednesday, and finally remembered that I had been forgetting to install the updates today. Ah, the loveliness of being a blonde that's hitting the age of senility...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

LOL!!! At some point I want get the recent iso for Neon and make myself a DVD and run it on my test laptop. Work has become a war and I havent had time to do any fun things.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ran Neon with 5.22.5 and neither the 3340 nor the 6440 could run it without issues. I dont get it and some of the changes theyve made in this version I actually dont care for very much. Even though the changes are somewhat minor its annoying to be honest. Theyve buried some of the functions in settings under advanced option tabs so end up searching around. Couldnt download widgets, and the interface for new wallpapers had some issues and lacked some of the features of the older version in 5.20.5. Had some locking up of the screen while trying to configure the panel and add widgets. I thought this was an issue with Feren OS but it appears their using 5.22.4 may actually be the issue. Its been a long time since Ive seen issues with KDE but it appears my luck has run out. For now Ill use the distros with the older versions but long term Ive started looking at XFCE distros such as Mint, MX Linux and Linux Lite. It was my haven last time when KDE wasnt working right.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Weird, I just reinstalled Neon this morning (moved onto my 7490 from the 7410 that I'm now going to sell since I purchased the T14 Gen2), and didn't have any issues. They have been moving the menu's around a bit, but that's just part of their cleaning them up to attempt to make them "flow" better. I'd say it's been a mixed bag. Some of the changes I really like (ALL the appearance settings now under appearance), some of it...not so much. But I haven't had any issues downloading widgets (although it is slower than usual), and no issues with wallpapers either (even added some new ones, downloaded a bunch of the old Vector W8 supercar from the EARLY 90's I had forgotten how beautiful it was).
Still not a giant fan of Neon, and it is BY FAR the slowest OS I currently use for shutting down or restarting. Most of my OS's shut down in 4-6 seconds, whereas Neon takes 10-15 on the exact same hardware (literally the 7490 + Endeavour was 4-6, switching to Neon slowed that to 10-15). Neither had encrypted drive, and they even were using the same partitions (although reformatted for Neon so no prior information).
Ultimately, I'll keep using Neon until I find something NOT Debian or Arch based that I like more. Having only 2 distro's that I really love right now (Debian & Endeavour) gets mighty dull to have as all the OS's, so need to keep using Neon. And it's not slow when it's running, it's just slow to shut down for me.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I have no answers as to why those issues were happening, but the minute I pop in Q4OS Gemini all is well. I also dislike Neon as well as Kubuntu.
I tested MX19 today and no issues with it but pop in Neon and all hell breaks loose. Its interesting that Feren that uses the Neon KDE versions also has issues and I had to stop using for a variety of reasons. It could be the fact Im using older hardware but the 3340 in particular is using a 2019 bios and theres really nothing that should be an issue. I can make it happen every time I run either Neon or Feren using 5.22.5 or 5.22.4. Revert to 5.20.5 and all is good. I did some looking and it appears some people are having issues similar to mine but its not a huge number.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I really wish KDE would slow down and not try to change things quite so fast. You end up with back and forth periods where things work then dont work.
Just talked to a Feren OS user who was having the same issues as I and he went to MX 19 KDE and all issues went away.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Eh, KDE's always been fast moving. That's the reason noone that's even a LITTLE enterprise focused outside of Suse uses it as the default. That's why Debian went to XFCE while they waited for Gnome3 to be barely usable again. They've ALWAYS done this. They probably always will. The concept of the LTS releases was exactly what you want, except no distro's stick to a LTS release. They just choose an ARBITRARY version (Debian, Kubuntu, Feren) and stick to something that's not actually getting patches from KDE anymore.

What would (IMO) be better is for distro's like Debian just to stick to the LTS release. Package the LTS, and just keep staying on the LTS. When the LTS upgrades to the next, switch to it instead of staying on the outdated version just because "that's what we do". But it's not going to happen.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Dont I wish but Im looking at XFCE right now as I dont want to end up back where I was in the early 5.x days. Im not going to switch out my hardware further, so Ive got to live with what ive got right now.
Site Moderator