Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
crosscourt

Re: Windows 10 gone in 2025, Windows 11 on the way

Post by crosscourt »

The bad part for me is except for my gaming PC all my laptops/systems wont be able to run Win11. So when 2025 comes around, its buy some new hardware time, which is stupid since many of my older systems really are still fast and run fine. Ill run Linux but I still need Windows systems for my wife and I.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Every cutoff is something arbitrary. It is irritating and disappointing to land on the wrong side of the cutoff and even more discombobulating to be unsure where you land. I visited Lenovo's site last weekend to see if they had any irresistible back to school deals. I found it rather easy to resist them. I noticed that there was no mention on Win 11 on items for sale. I dug around a bit and Lenovo's statement on Win 11 simply said that requirements for Win 11 were not finalized and they could not make an final determination about upgrades until they received final requirements from MS.

I am not a gamer, but like most kids my age :) I do like to play. Sticking things where they do not belong is just plain fun. Win 11 on a Pi 400 is easily as much fun as blasting ogres in cave. :)
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

wove wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:39 pm I visited Lenovo's site last weekend to see if they had any irresistible back to school deals. I found it rather easy to resist them.
IMO, the last several sales have been like this. They FINALLY have THinkpads (T14 Gen2) that have 5000 series Ryzens, but currently they don't have a build that you can get the Ryzen 7 w/o a touchscreen. :(
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

In the old days you wanted to upgrade when new versions of Windows came out, particularly with games. Now you dont need to change hardware as often as older systems still have excellent cpus,ram and SSDs. My 11 year old laptop runs Win10 very well with a first generation i5 2.5ghz cpu,8gb ram and a 256gb SSD. So Microsoft decides to yank us all into the modern world at significant cost to do what? When companies are also not happy with this move, you see how crazy it is to change to aniother Windows OS, thats nothing more than a new design with upgrades Win10 would have had anyway.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

We went for around a decade when changes were small and incremental. For the tasks I do I see no difference between the X220 and X240, which is part of why the X240 was something of a disappointment. Intel added 3 new transistors a year and called it an upgrade. AMD blew thing wide open a couple years ago and Intel said, "oh my we can do that too." It does feel like this is a big jump; one that will open new possibilities that may well become must have things. Then again new OSes might well just eat all those slick new resources and eye candy.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its the rinse and repeat syndrome as Microsoft dominates the market and everyone does what they need to use the most recent version. Planned obsolescence really annoys me and today with alternative platforms such as Chromebooks/Android devices, it may shoot them in the foot down the road. Many companies in the top 500 use Linux so give people a reason and things may change even further.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

WE are years away from Win10 being dropped and articles are already flying about how MS will have to extend support for Win10 due to hardware issues and corporations not wanting to cooperate.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Too many issues with Win11 yet they insist on still releasing it October 5. Im still a bit mystified why this had to be rushed out so quickly when Win10 is totally viable given it was conctantly updated. It makes me suspect that Microsoft is trying to intentionally increase hardware sales, maybe in cooperation with major OEMs. This time around things are a bit different from the past, as Win10 was suppose to be the last Windows version, constatnly updated and improved.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I have not had any issues with Win 11 on the Surface Go 2. The last I read on the insider blogs is that MS plans to release for new hardware first. Lots of new machine for the up coming holiday season I suppose. They will then roll out to current machines being sold, and finally to older supported hardware. They say they expect to have the rollout complete by then end of 1st quarter 2022.

I was hoping for improved tablet use. It is a mixed bag there and the net result is that there is really not much change. White space has increase, but target size has not, so it is easier to see your target, while not any easier to actually hit the target. As for overall UI, they have just tacked on another theme and made no significant effort to make its implementation system wide. You get a new launcher, but after you have launched everything is back a mis match of elements that go back decades.

Widgets are a real bust. They snatched a gesture from from the app and history overview, so my muscle memory opens them unwanted lots. The only stuff they currently include is MS stuff. MS News, Weather and they only support email, calendar and tasks stored on OneCloud, which in my case means they have no useful function at all.

Performance again is a mixed bag. System seems to launch faster and apps seem to launch faster as well, but while the app windows is up very quickly it takes a while for the app to become useable. Edge seems to load pages faster, but when scrolling it can freeze for a few seconds. As near as I can tell Win11 runs everything made for Windows in the last couple decades. On my Surface battery life seems to have taken a big hit.

In the Pi 400 Win11 remains just something of an odd anomaly. As to the Surface Win 11 will probably remain its main system mostly because I do not have the ambition to roll it back to Win 10.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im glad youve had a good experience with Win11, but Ive been receiving many phone calls with questions about issues people are having with it. Reported issues are quite common and some are complete deal breakers that make the system useless. The hardware requirement issues honestly make it a non issue for me as I wont be using it till 2025.
Site Moderator