DA, Da Chuwi!!!

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

DA, Da Chuwi!!!

Post by tlmiller »

REcently found new life for the Chuwi. I've been trying to sell it to find a Jasper Lake laptop to try out, but I'm having MASSIVE issues finding Jasper Lake laptops that don't suck. Everything is either garbage 15", 15-watt N5095 (basically failure silicon that doesn't run correctly and so was released as a way to not waste it as it is MEANT to be 6-watt CPU's!!), only 4 GB ram, or some combination thereof. Even the decent ones I'm finding are only 12GB ram (3x4GB, so only 8GB in dual channel). I want a 16GB like my Gemini Lake refresh!!! :(

So I threw Q4OS 4 on it with Trinity.

Still have a lot of faults with Q4OS. Still think it's a neat little distro though, and their Debonairre theme is still by far the best looking TDE theme that I've found.
wove

Re: DA, Da Chuwi!!!

Post by wove »

Always nice to find a nice fit for hardware. I saw your post over on the Q4OS forum. I was wondering what network management software you installed. On my Raspberry Pi networking was setup during the base install of Raspberry Pi OS. Trinity uses that network setup and networking runs fine. However the Trinity networking control panel is blank, not even showing the presence of network hardware, so as it sits I would be unable to make any changes.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I installed the network-manager-gnome applet (I even used the q4os software installer to test it out). Really it's one of the only things in the world of Linux that there AREN'T that many choices on. WICD has been discontinued and is recommending any users move away from it due to security issues with it's design, and almost everything else is just a less functional frontend for networkmanager anyway. And besides that, the ProtonVPN gui actually requires it, thus making it a no-brainer for me. Supports modern technology unlike the stock network management gui, AND allows me to use my VPN that I pay for? Well, yeah, I want that...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Saw your post over at Q4OS, looks like a nice setup. I wont use TDE as I much prefer KDE.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I do prefer KDE, but I like base Debian w/ KDE more than I like the tools that Q4OS adds w/ their version of the KDE desktop. So I actually like pure Debian KDE significantly better than Q4OS KDE.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive tried TDE with some other distros as well and frankly still prefer KDE. When I had older hardware I needed the lightness of TDE but those days are long gone as KDE runs well even on my 11 year old laptop. My favorite Debian based KDE distro right now is MX Linux not Q4OS.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I do like KDE better than TDE, but TDE is a solid #2 for me (with probably Mate #3). So I like to use it. I also think they've really fixed a lot of the most annoying issues it had, which is pretty surprising given the age of the original technology it was written with. Although I probably will do more of a pure Debian + TDE in the future, I'm sure I'll at least once in a while still run Q4OS just because there are some things I think they did quite well even if overall I think many of their choices as defaults are...not sane defaults.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Q4OS KDE is fine for me and I enjoy using it but still want to see what happens when Q4OS Gemini goes final.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Shouldn't be long, Bullseye releases next week I think? So shouldn't be OVERLY long after that that Gemini releases. Main reason I installed Gemini on the Chuwi, was because I just didn't feel like upgrading again in a few weeks. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive had Gemini installed for quite awhile and it was rock solid right from the get go, so really havent had anything to complain.
Site Moderator