Debian 11 release date revealed

Discussion on Linux distributions
bin

Re: Debian 11 release date revealed

Post by bin »

crosscourt wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:27 pm I checked with the devs and Feren is definitely not using anything Neon based. Theyve been self customizing Feren for quite some time.
Funny - I was sure that when I tested it recently there were some Neon repos in there - ah well, the old grey matter is obviously not what it used to be. Still hate Plasma - so won't be going that way again. :)
bin

Post by bin »

wove wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:40 pm I like Q4OS; they introduced me to Trinity and I found this forum from the Q4OS forum. I do not like Q4OS' added perks however. I can not figure out what purpose they were made for, and it seems like they get in the way of easy configuration. I also find it a bit of a bother that the default install has some many gtk apps, while Trinity and Plasma has equally fine applications to do the same job.
Some of the stuff they've added is quite good - some is as you say a bit of a pain. The fact they locked themselves out of 2 updates of TDE was awkward. I think they've taken a fairly pragmatic view WRT the apps as many of the old KDE/Trinity native apps are a bit too long in the tooth for 2021. Either they add a load of Plasma apps, or GTK. I think the GTK stuff is a better choice though there's something slightly adrift with the window management and Firefox in Gemini.

I have used TDE as a very nice, lightweight, configurable desktop for GTK apps for many years and once Bullseye goes to release I hope to continue to do so - but it will be not be Q4OS, just Debian + TDE
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Back to the discussion on Feren OS. If you ask users whether they prefer Ubuntu or Mint the overwhelming answer is Mint. I also agree that Mint is far better than Ubuntu, so for Feren OS to move to Ubuntu away from Mint, to me was a slap in the face of their fanbase. There may have been development reasons for it but they should have maintained both their Cinnamon and newly designed KDE versions with Mint.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Honestly, what ISN'T better than Ubuntu that has any popularity? It's honestly not incredibly stable, it's not as newbie friendly as it used to be, it actually is fairly heavy with using Gnome by default, and of course my personal bias, but it looks like absolute CRAP because there's almost no way to make GNome NOT look like crap.
chris

Post by chris »

MATE and/or Cinnamon seem to make Gnome look reasonable.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Mint Cinnamon has improved hugely and Ill be testing for quite while as its a far better choice than Gnome with Ubuntu.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I found a lot to like with Mate. It is quite snappy and low resource requirements as well as being highly customizable. It feels disjointed and jerky though. It does not seem fluid and smoothly flowing. For me it is just a bit too hard to work done in Mate.

I have never really been able to get my head around Cinnamon and Mint. Mint's seeming purpose is to yell loudly, "Hey we are not Ubuntu!, and we think most of what Ubuntu does is wrong.", while building on Ubuntu's infrastructure. For me Cinnamon is just to hopelessly cluttered to even consider as a DE I could use.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Mint is what Ubuntu should be and theyve never tried to avoid the fact that they use Ubuntu. It became so popular because it did things in a way thats better and more user friendly. MX Linux has a similar position in regards to Debian as its a far more user friendly distro.
Cinnamon for most users, particularly for those who have used Windows, is very easy to use and most of its settings are similar to Gnome. I dont see anything cluttered about Cinnamon in any way as its a great mainstream choice for users.

I do agree with you wove about Mate but if youve been working with Gnome for quite awhile using Cinnamon or KDE might not be your cup of tea.
Site Moderator
chris

Post by chris »

Dislike Ubuntu, find Cinnamon OK?
Cinnamon + Debian = Linux Mint Debian Edition
LMDE4 in (fairly) regular use here.
chris

Post by chris »

Cinnamon derives from Gnome3; MATE from Gnome2