Is Linux your primary OS?

Talk about anything you like not related to the above forums
wove

Re: Is Linux your primary OS?

Post by wove »

Windows 2000 was my first encounter with Windows. I believe it came installed on some Thinkpad. OneNote was included. I think OneNote was still part of some skunkworks project at that point. It was really impressive software. Now OneNote is just a bloated mess. I did not stick with 2000 and my next encounter was with Win8 on the original Surface, which I liked. Win8 on the Surface RT was much more usable than Win10 on the new Surface.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I can't say I feel anything but disdain and disgust for anything after 2000.

Windows 8/8.1 did take the cake for horrible (Windows) OS's though (I admit, I will use that over OpenSuse). While performance of Vista was AWFUL when it was released, it was at least a reasonably good looking OS. And 7 fixed the performance issues that hadn't already been fixed. 8/8.1 was just truly awful. 10 is still quite ugly, but at least is a significant step up from 8/8.1 IMO. Performance-wise, honestly 7 and 10 are fine. I honestly don't feel the perfromance between a modern Windows and modern Linux is too different. Windows is a bit quicker booting for me, Linux is faster shutting down. But there's not a BIG difference either way, and once running they run pretty similarly. Mostly it's how they work and look. I dislike the look of 10 greatly, and after YEARS of using KDE, I can't bring myself to get used to how to do things in Windows, it's just IMO too hard to use compared to linux.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Totally agree on Win2000 as it was my favorite early version of Windows but for gamers it was a no go. I actually liked Vista and get picked on anywhere I go where I say that. Very nice looking distro with good game compatibility but early on had driver issues and performance issues, but much of that was solved reasonably quickly. All versions of Windows have had issues, as Win7 initially had some major driver issues and minor performance issues, but turned out fine.
I find both Linux and Win10 easy to work with and get things done. Given Im a Windows user due to my gaming Ive never had any issues and found it easy to use.
Site Moderator
bin

Post by bin »

After struggling with configuring business laptops running NT4, W2K was a real lifesaver!
I agree - Vista had its problems but when it worked it worked well. Design was a bit 'left field' for MS but I happened to like it! Wouldn't use it at home though :)

W10 - well I don't know if it's just too many years with linux but it feels like someone smashed Windows 7, mixed it with a broken box of Windows 8 bits, a mock up of MS Android and then glued it all together blindfold, underwater with their hands behind their back.

Me stick with linux!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I think its just the fact you use Linux so much bin but I use Linux with KDE and Win10 and really havent had any issues adjusting. My hope initially was to stop using Windows but since Dai brought it up in a post about how he liked Win10, I gave it another try and have been using it regularly since. I had tried Win10 early on and really didnt like it but its changed quite a bit and most Linux users and Win7 users I think would adjust quickly with few issues.
Im now using Win10 for some of my gaming work, and for some parts of my day job, as well as supporting my wife ,family and friends so things have changed quite a bit.
Site Moderator