What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
wove

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by wove »

Windows is just poorly designed. Window notifies me on a regular basis that my system is not fully secure because I am not using the default setting for Edge (I changed to DuckDuckGo for search), while installing application and drivers without asking permission to do so. So they use an very common vector of attack to install software I did not ask for, while complaining about changing browser preferences. I do not see this as an issue; I see it as just plain stupidity.

The Surface Go 2 is a nice piece of high quality hardware. The cameras are good, Windows Hello works and is amuzing, pen support for notes, scribbling and doodling is great and the keyboard is a bit small, but very useable. Windows is not a great tablet OS and well Linux is not a great tablet OS either. Windows does make good use of pen input and the cameras and Windows software for the camera is also very good. Yesterday afternoon my Granddaughter and I used 3d Paint to create a dragon vs toad battle over the panorama picture of a waterfall we had taken earlier and it was great fun.

There is a specific github project that is devoted to making Linux run well on the Surface. The cameras for the Surface Go 2 are specifically listed as having no Linux support. Although oddly they can be used with a pam module for log in purposes. There are new versions of Ubuntu, Fedora and Debian arriving fairly soon and I will be looking more closely at Linux options after they arrive. For the time being I have only been trying live images that I have on hand.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont allow Windows to install anything without my knowing about it and as I mentioned above if you change the Network sharing setting, you wont have a repeat of what you experienced with the Toshiba printer. Typically Windows wont install drivers unless you add something new like a USB hub for instance. Most driver updates are optional. Ive never had the issue youre describing with Edge but I also dont use Edge most of the time. I use Firefox but have not set any of my browsers as the default browser.

Ubuntu though auto detects and installs local devices using wifi and also uses unattended upgrades so Win10 isnt alone with some practices.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Leaning towards getting a SSD for my Ryzen system, 2TB. Looking at Samsung 870 Evo.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just got my $1400 so might pull the trigger on a new SSD.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Got mine a few weeks ago, going to go into my transmission to finally get that pile of garbage MT82 to work like a PROPER transmission should. Full on performance rebuild. Will eat my entire stimulus + my entire federal + state tax return. Will be worth it.

Been updating my Dell Bios tonight. Dell's released a LOT of updates in the last month.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Havent seen any bios updates for my 7470/7370 beyond what I did when I purchased them. Might need to take a look.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Kinda surprising, everything Intel based on my side from Dell got updates in the last 2 months.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

7470 latest bios update is from 1/2021 1.27.3
7370 latest bios update is from late 2018 1.16-4
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Friend of mine has a 7270 for sale for $225, free shipping, 8gb ram, 256gb SSD, Win10. I want to get rid of the rest of my older laptops and may invest in it as a work laptop.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just bought the 7270 as it will become my work laptop. My wife is using the 7370 which should work really well. The 7470 will remain my main laptop for personal use. Ill post back once I get the system up and running. Will be adding 8gb of ram and a 128gb micro SD card for the time being as I really dont need to go to a 512gb ssd just yet.
Site Moderator