Dell Latitude 7370

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: Dell Latitude 7370

Post by tlmiller »

Not overly surprised. Seems that the 13" has always sorta been a size that Dell honestly didn't know WHAT to do with. Depending on generation, they switched the Latitude Ex3xx series and transformed it from detachable tablet w/ keyboard dock, standard laptop, 2-in-1 laptop (which is what it is currently). The Ex2xx was almost always a traditional laptop, but was considered to be the "premium ultramobile" solution. And so the fact that the 13" just sorta got lost in the shuffle leads to it being available cheaper. Just my guess based on what I've seen in the years running Dells.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Honestly the best deal is the 7470 as the price is generally lower than the 7370 but you get so much more. I wanted a smaller lighter laptop for my wife and I so the 7370 I was willing to take a chance given the price. The display is gorgeous and is better than the one I have on my 15" Acer Chromebook.
The 7370 was made in February of 2018 and the 7470 in August of 2017 so its far more recent than Ive had in quite some time.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

7370 didnt like the WD SSD with Raid on, even though its SATA. Im reinstalling Win10 with AHCI and so far so good.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Install went fine and its just as well as Id prefer the laptop running AHCI even though Raid is the default.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

No real difference on the vast majority of laptops. Since there's only 1 drive, RAID only functions in AHCI mode anyway. Really only a relevant option in gaming laptops or desktops where there's room for multiple drives. And even then, it's very much fake-raid, so still no better performance than a software raid array from the OS.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The Intel Raid Rapid storage technology is a separate setting in the bios, apart from AHCI. Yes aware that Raid only functions in AHCI and the benefits with one drive is marginal at best which makes me wonder why they do it by default in laptops with one drive.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Finally got around to installing the new 500gb WD SSD m.2 drive but there were some issues. I had the same issue with the 7470 but recloning the drive the second time did the trick. This time it took four tries before the drive finally cloned properly and would boot. Ive never had these types of issues with my older 2.5 SSDs nor my HDDs.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been testing this laptop before my wife begins to use it regularly and it gets very hot with extended use. Wont be putting this laptop on your lap as it gets quite hot close to dead center and the keyboard and bezel area gets fairly warm as well. Not using a fan may not have been the best choice but as long as you stick to a hard surface it should be fine. They should have done what they did with the 3330 and use the battery as a kickstand that lifts the bottom of the laptop off the ground for more ventilation.
Site Moderator