What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

I was able to get Win10 directly installed, first by doing a base Win7 install then upgrading to Win10 20H2 which didnt take too long. Then you add your apps, settings, extras, updates and optimize the drive. Much longer process then installing Linux but I clone my drives to similar hardware which saves me some time.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My friend has another E4300 hes sending me so Ill do the same with it when it comes.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Working on my wifes backup laptop and did some updating and cloning to a larger faster drive. Ive been impressed as both my Dell E4300 and E6420 are running Win10 with no issues, with good performance.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Figured out why the Dell E6400s wouldnt boot with some distros, Mageia 8 in particular. The bios in these laptops doesnt have virtualization/direct I/O enabled so the OS starts up looking for it and when it sees its off wont boot at all. Turn it on in bios and the system starts up normally and performance is fine.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im a bit amazed how well these E4300s perform overall with 2.5ghz core 2 duo cpus and 8gb of ram, with 500gb WD Black 7200rpm hard drives. Win10 and Linux both run really well.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I have to say that the 13.3 inch displays on my Dell E4300s have grown on me. Most of my laptops are 14-15 inch but the 13.3 inch I really like and might head in that direction down the road. Still large enough for my old eyes but allows for a lighter more compact laptop, 12 inch was just too small as I use to use a E4200.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I have been using the X series Thinkpads for the last decade. The all have a 12.5" screen with a 1366X768 screen resolution and I have grown quiet accustomed to using them. The Pinebook Pro has a 14" screen with a 1920X1080 resolution, which is not useful until I fiddle with the settings to enlarge all the interface elements. Lenovo provides color profiles for their screens, which actually makes even their poorer screens display colors with reasonable accuracy. The Pinebook Pro screen has no profile and even though it is sharp and bright, the colors all seem off and is useless for photo editing.

I think as I have gotten older what I would really like is a 3lb ultrabook with a 18" screen :)

bill
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I find myself leaning over really close to my 22Inch monitor connected to my Ryzen 5 system because its easier to see overall. Once the pandemic breaks I need to get my eyes checked and corrected.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Pine64 came through. The replacement dock for the Pinebook Pro arrived yesterday and it works as advertised. They shipped the replacement via China Post, So I can use the replacement and see what I can do about replacing the USB-C connector on the end. I have not looked into doing it, but I was hoping I might be able to replace the USC-C plug with a USB-A plug.

bill
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Glad they came through as I havent been that lucky with Chinese transactions.
Site Moderator