Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Best & worst laptop brands 2020

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
wove

Re: Best & worst laptop brands 2020

Post by wove »

That is an interesting set of rankings. Samsung makes the list for bold and beautiful designs, Apple is near the bottom for not offering budget laptops and Microsoft at the bottom for having a quiet year. Very odd criteria for making a purchase decision.

bill
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The scores are based on points given for reviews,design, support and warranty, innovation , and value+selection. It doesnt mean Apple isnt a good choice but in some areas they may not offer enough options or selection. Dell offers a wide range of products both at the high end and the budget end with excellent support, something for everybody.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Meh, anyone who's owned an Asus or 3 would never give Asus the best score. Obviously determined simply because they're pretty. Basically lose any interest in reading when it's that obvious they don't care about build quality, and only how pretty a system is.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats the thing about doing ratings like this. Everybody has different experiences and do their ratings based on that. Asus for me was nothing but an issue both with the hardware and their support. Wouldnt recommend them myself. Dell which ranked second is one of my top picks along with HP and Lenovo, so they did get it right to a point.
Site Moderator
chris

Post by chris »

Now, I've had an ASUS X550CA for several years. I got it in Dubai when I was there on holiday (and my then current laptop died) c/w 8GB RAM. It's had Vista (installed), (up)graded to 8.0 then 8.1, now 10, currently 1909. Dual booted with several Linuxes, now basically 64 bit Void. Changed to 1TB main disk, then 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD in place of DVD, 1TB SSD in place of main HDD. I run a few VDIs with VirtualBox (Void, Slackware, Windows XP, Mint, even got OpenIndiana installed and running). Never had a scrap of real trouble.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Your experience Chris just proves the point that you need many reviews and reports before a really good rating can be created. My situation with Asus was bios related and they dropped the ball and didnt fix it for awhile. Dell though when I had a similar issue got me a bios in 24 hours and checked back with me to make sure. Asus build quality is very good so I dont fault the authors for choosing it.
Site Moderator