Lenovo releases Thinkpads and Thinkstations with Ubuntu preinstalled

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Lenovo releases Thinkpads and Thinkstations with Ubuntu preinstalled

Post by crosscourt »

I just got this directly from Lenovo as they released a new line up of Thinkpads and Thinkstations with Ubuntu 20.04 preinstalled. They look pretty nice and it appears to be the first large push to sell OEM systems with Ubuntu.

https://news.lenovo.com/pressroom/press ... th-ubuntu/
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Lenovo releases Thinkpads and Thinkstations with Ubuntu preinstalled

Post by tlmiller »

On a related note, I'd really like to be able to get a T14 AMD w/ 16GB soldered. That said, I'd rather see them release them with Fedora on first personally, but good that they're going to actually advertise them, unlike Dell who offers so very many, but basically you need to know to ask for them.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They wont release it with Fedora as its simply not a good mainstream choice for users. Ive seen this as part of some of their interviews with the other tech site I work with.

Your preferences are different because of who and what you are but Id never want Fedora on my system. Versions change too fast and there are no extra user features such as you get with Ubuntu. I realize many people dont like Ubuntu but for the larger mainstream user base its a good OS choice.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

The only reason it's not a good mainstream choice is because Fedora has Red Hat supporting them, not Microsoft...

Literally, that's the only REAL reason most companies partner with Canonical, CAnonical is partnered with M$.

If you take that away, the ONLY advantage of Ubuntu over Fedora is the offering of a LTS version. Other than that, Fedora is a superior OS to Ubuntu in every way...and actually releases new versions LESS OFTEN (9 months vs. 6 months) than Ubuntu, and supports their old version LONGER (18.5 months vs. 9 months) than Ubuntu...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ubuntu LTS is supported for 5 years which is what Lenovo is using. Microsoft is partnered with Canonical to bring Ubuntu to Win10 but its not the only distro that Microsoft has brought to Win10. Theyve also partnered with certain apps thru Azure, again not the only company to do so from the open source side. I believe there are over 200 partners with Microsoft, Red Hat is also one of those partners.
www.redhat.com/en/red-hat-microsoft-partnership

Canonical and Microsoft arent attached at the hip and are still rivals in many other areas.
Ubuntu is an easy OS for the average user to pick up and use and the user experience is really fantastic.
In the interview we did with Lenovo they said pretty much the same that Ubuntu offered the best experience for their customers, with most of the same reasons that Dell expressed.
Site Moderator
chris

Post by chris »

"The only reason it's not a good mainstream choice is because Fedora has Red Hat supporting them, not Microsoft..."

Isn't it odd that Lenovo, who bought IBM's PC division, should not support a distro that is now owned by IBM?
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

chris wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:37 am "The only reason it's not a good mainstream choice is because Fedora has Red Hat supporting them, not Microsoft..."

Isn't it odd that Lenovo, who bought IBM's PC division, should not support a distro that is now owned by IBM?
Hadn't thought about it like that, kinda funny when you do. And they actually do have some that have Fedora on as well. In fact if you go to their site right now (I did last night) and search for THINKPADS with linux on, you'll get a total of 1 result, I think it was a E490 w/ Fedora. None with Ubuntu available YET.

It's also not available in the builder yet, I built the T14 I wanted (400 NIT 1080P non-touch screen, 16GB soldered, 128GB NVMe) and the only options for OS was Win10 Home and Win10 Pro. BTW, with their sale on, if I had the money, I would have bought that thing. Ryzen 5 PRO 4650U (6 core 12 thread), 16GB soldered + 1 open DIMM, 128GB NVMe (I have a 1TB setting on my kitchen table unused), 400 NIT 1080P LCD, 2-year onsite warranty for just under $1100, that's a GOOD price IMO. But I don't have the $$$...