Intel runs into more delays...

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: Intel runs into more delays...

Post by tlmiller »

Right, I'm not talking about capacity, I'm talking about process technology. I think Hynix is only using 12nm as their most advanced process (at least I haven't READ about them moving to 10nm or smaller yet). Only TSMC, Samsung and Intel have working fabs <12nm that I'm aware of.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Hynix has been using 10nm process since the second half of 2019 but large scale production came this year.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Although that still wouldn't really help Intel, since their 10nm is at this point fairly mature (even if the performance still isn't where Intel wants it) and they'd need help with 7nm production realistically.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I didnt bring Hynix up for that reason,but to just point out that more recent processes are more common than many realize. Its also the move to 10nm in particular that killed a lot of companies like STMicro who was once the number 2 semiconductor maker in the world.
There are also rumors still floating about that Hynix is interested in buying Global foundries, the world's number 1 specialty foundry. They could make a move into the market at some point if this occured.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

i can't really see GloFo staying around a lot longer. They've abandoned 7nm, they're sticking with 12nm as their most advanced node...while right now there's a TON of stuff they can get designs for with that node, a few years down the road companies are going to start wanting 10nm & 7nm (when bleeding edge fabs have moved onto 3nm and 5nm). While there will always be some desire for older nodes such as 12/14nm, I see the amount of business getting less every year. If I was them, I'd definitely listen to any company willing to shell out the $$$ for a realistic bid.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Samsung was also interested in GloFo but Hynix appears to have been in talks in 2nd qtr of last year. A significant investment would be necessary but it may be a better situation in their opinion than other options.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

If a company that buys them are willing to invest in developing newer nodes, it can make a lot of sense. GloFo posted profits for 2019, they were expecting to see profits for 2020 before Covid hit. So they're in the perfect spot RIGHT NOW, they have the best non-bleeding edge nodes, they have lots of customers (including currently still AMD for Zen+ and the IO chiplet on Zen2), and they've got a decent amount of fabs. Not going to be cheap by any measure, but to greatly increase ones current income and maybe start converting some of the older fabs to more bleeding edge nodes would be a great (if insanely expensive) strategy IMO.
wove

Post by wove »

Speaking sticktly as someone who has very seldom used Intel or x86 processors, it has always seemed to me that Intel has always been more hype than preformance. I am quite fond of my Thinkpads, which of course have all been Intel based, but overall I have spent much more time on 6502s, 680X0, PowerPC and ARM than I have on Intel. I am sure they will not fade away and perhaps over the long haul a solid reality check will begin moving them in a better direction.

bill
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Except for my Apple 2 Ive primarily been an Intel user most of my life. Performance varied over the years with some products excellent and others simply not worth using. Pentium D was one of the more recent ones that didnt work for me. Overall ive been pleased with Intel over the years but recently Ive become an AMD user with the Ryzen 5 2600, a terrific product. Im glad AMD is back into the game as they keep Intel honest and push them to innovate.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I was a big VIA fan early on actually. I had several Via chips back in socket 7/Super Socket 7 days (although my first socket 7 was Intel). I also was (moderately) early adopter of AMD, but it wasn't because of any belief that they were better, simply that the Super Socket 7 motherboards were cheap, and an AMD K6II+ @100 FSB was FAST with an overall system price SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the Pentium II/III competition, even if it wasn't QUITE as powerful. And then when the Athlons came out, I was actually MOSTLY an AMD user until the Core2 was released. But again, $$$$ had more to do with that decision than any actual love of AMD. 90% the performance (well, for a while better performance when Athlon was newer) for 75% the price = I'm in!!