What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

2.5 wasnt an urgent bios update as it solved an issue with Micron SSD NVme drive issues. Obviously it wasnt for everybody but sometimes if it aint broke.......
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So Dell actually fixed the issue and contacted me today to test a beta bios 2.5.0, and so I'm back on 2.5.0 now with working USB-C dock!!

And so far after 3 reboots, the AX200 is still working with it, so 2.5.0 has helped with that. Now need to get linux back on it to test if it works in linux now.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im glad that got fixed.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Eh, the BIOS stil causes the AX200 to refuse to allow the loading of the firmware in linux. And in Windows you do end up having to start putting in the password again after every few reboots. I think I'll just get rid of this laptop instead of the Latitude 3500.
Last edited by tlmiller on Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Finally got around to doing the geekbench on my Razer...wow. COMPLETELY CRUSHES any of my prior laptops!! Very impressive overall. Single threaded even gets moderately close (which is to say, still loses by a decent amount) to my 3700x in my DESKTOP!! Course, multi-thread gets absolutely stomped by the desktop.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its funny, when I think of laptops, its never in terms of high end performance. I dont use them for gaming or even high end projects so if they are godd enough Im happy. Ive always looked to my desktop for high end performance and upgrade ability.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I do prefer better than "good enough". While I don't really care about the ability to play games (although if the games I liked worked with proton I probably would), it's nice to be able to know the system can easily run a couple VM's if I find myself needing it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Your usage with laptops is completely different from mine. I still rely on desktops for my high end jobs.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I rely on my laptops for everything.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

If my wife had decided to stick with a laptop and I hadnt gone back to gaming, Id probably be on laptops completely. The other issue was the problems with using my dock with many distros.
Site Moderator