What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

I put my Latitude 3500 up for sale. With the Razer also being 15", there's just no reason to have 2 15" laptops since I don't care for the size. Since the Razer is 10-keyless and has a FAR superior LCD, it gets to get kept for now. Windows 10 is FAST on that 3500 with the 16GB ram and a 1TB NVMe drive (did swap out the XG5 to the Crucial P1, keeping the XG5 in case I need it for something in the future).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Surprised you even went for any 15" laptop.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the 15's. Bought the 3500 because it was just TOOOOOOOOOOOO good a deal to pass up. A current model that in it's configuration sold for $900 for $400? In essentially mint condition? Yeah, I hate 15's but...gimme.

With the non +10 keyboard of the Razer, it's much more sane choice for me. Too bad really about how horrid I find the keyboard. I actually REALLY REALLLY REALLY like the laptop other than that. And that's hard for me to say, because I am NOT a fan of Razers, or of Nvidia graphics. I've had 2 keyboards and a mouse of theirs, and none of them survived more than 2 months beyond it's first birthday (and the end of the warranty at the time, they've since increased it) before failing. When paying $100 for a mouse and nearly $150 for a keyboard, that's simply unacceptable.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Hate Razer as i was sponsored by Logitech for a time and have always loved their mice and keyboards. Ive still got my G7 mouse after all this time.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Used to like Logitech until I bought a G700s. Came with a single battery, but was so bad on it that literally less than 2 hours of use on a charge, and was nearly $100. They of course refused to replace it. Haven't bought anything Logitech since then, and will never buy anything made by Logitech again in my life.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Except for average use where I use battery powered mice, I never use them for gaming. Im a corded guy most of the time when on my gaming rig.
Logitech battery life though has improved hugely but even my older G7 was good on charge.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:04 pm Except for average use where I use battery powered mice, I never use them for gaming. Im a corded guy most of the time when on my gaming rig.
Logitech battery life though has improved hugely but even my older G7 was good on charge.
I had an M510 that using rechargeable batteries it would last for ~2 months before teh G700s that the buttons physically broke after years of abuse. So I was quite surprised when the G700s lasted less than 2 hours. But Logitechs refusal to replace what HAD to be a defective unit is what ultimately cost them my business ever again. That large a company refusing to fix something that was rather expensive and supposed to have a 1-year warranty was ridiculous. They forever lost my business there.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Cant speak to your issues with the G700s as Ive never used it but my experience with Logitech over the years has been excellent and I really abused my gaming mice and keyboards. The fact my G7 still works very well and I still use for gaming occasionally speaks voluimes to the quality of its design.

Ive used a huge number of mice over the years and beat the hell out of them and Logitech was the best of the bunch. Razer was just the opposite as
I had repeated issues with their products, tried to work with them and it really didnt get any better.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've only ever had 2 logitech mice, the M510 which was absolutely wonderful and the G700s which was pathetic. I've had a few wireless keyboards of theirs early in my computing days and didn't generally have good experience with them, but then...we're talking about EARLY wireless keyboards. I also had a logitech webcam, which while it worked fine, was a crap design (but it was cheap). I replaced it with an HP that I still have. While MUCH higher resolution and better looking design on paper, the design in the end wasn't much better. Although the quality of the cam itself was.

Razer honestly I gave up on years before I even bought the G700s. I had 2 of their first model mechanical keyboards when they FIRST came out...and they were FANTASTIC...for 14-19 months and then they stopped working entirely for no apparent reason. Their new stuff I have READ is much better, I'm not going to waste my money finding out.

RedDragon keyboards for me, and Zalman mice. Much better than Logitech or Razer.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

On the Inspiron 5485. Turns out the 2.5.0 bios is one to be avoided. We downgraded to 2.4.4, and everything working correctly again.