Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Linux Mint 20 beta released

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Linux Mint 20 beta released

Post by crosscourt »

Going to download the Mate version and see how it looks in a live session.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Installed Cinnamon version and it has a really nice feature set for new users. The welcome screen, and system report feature really helps users to set it up, and makes sure all necessary drivers/packages are updated. Any system issues or drivers available is also reported by system reports and asks you if you want to take action. Wifi was activated at install and afterwards and my printer on network was seen and works fin. No hardware issues at all and system temps and cpu usage are fine. Didnt have to install many apps and Firefox, Thunderbird and LibreOffice are available. Chromium will not install as its not in the repositories. I ended up installing Chrome directly from their site which worked fine as a .deb. I installed Brasero and VLC as well as Psensor, Bleachbit and Hardinfo.

The menu is more to my liking than the one with Mate . Settings takes a bit of getting use to but its still pretty easy to navigate and find things.

Considering this is a beta Im greatly impressed and this may well become one of my favorite distros. Mint has done a great job with this distro and for new users its definitely the best distro Ive used this year, and will make sense to those using Windows presently.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Online video ands multimedia tests were fine and Ill check gaming later. I installed it on my Dell E6400 which is using a 2.5ghz Core 2 Duo cpu with 4gb of ram and a 128gb ssd. Performance is quick and there is no sluggishness between apps nor online while viewing pages or videos.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

More stable, none of the annoying little issues and no cpu temp/usage and memory resource issues it appears. A lot of nice features, very configurable,polished and no annoying Snap. As long as youre ok with manually installing another browser besides Firefox youre good to go.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Chrome updated properly so glad there werent any issues. I find some of the responses to Mint 20 a bit curious as most like the fact that there is no Snap, but there is still a fairly large group that cant understand why they did it.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

No stability issues and Ive been trying applets and havent had any issues. That wasnt the case all the time with Mint 19.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im intrigued after reading the reviews on Distrowatch of Mint 20 and issues many are having that on my old E6400 arent occurring. The beta ran like a final release.
Site Moderator