Endeavor OS

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Endeavor OS

Post by tlmiller »

So, this is billed as the spiritual successor to Antergos. Since I have a laptop lying around right now with no OS, I decided to try it out.

First thing that strikes me when starting up the installer from the live ISO is "This is WAY nicer looking than Antergos ever was". This idea is carried over throughout the installer. It's SOOOOOOOOO much better looking and more feature packed than Calamares ever was as used by Antergos. A+. It also gives you the option of installing offline. Sure, your options are limited (XFCE), but you can do it. You can also choose to do the online install, and then you're given QUITE a nice little choice of installation choices. Impressive given my admitted dislike of Calamares.

Hardware detection, given this is ultimately Arch linux, was spot on. Had the firmware for my AX200 in the live environment. Was able to choose to do a KDE Plasma install, and even modify it a bit with unselecting a few things I didn't want installed (like KDEConnect). Again, far superior to Antergos.

SO FAR, in my limited testing since installing, this to me is everything Manjaro wants to be. A beautiful installer for Arch with a clean, uncluttered default install that's just complete enough to offer usability without overwhelming you.

Still not sure if I'd take this over Anarchy, but for someone who wanted to try out using Arch but wasn't a fan of the long installation process, and the all the issues with setting it up, this really does look like a great way to try out Arch in possibly the best light. Color me impressed, even if I choose not to use it for myself.
Last edited by tlmiller on Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tlmiller

Re: Endeavor OS

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Cant bring myself to run anything Arch, maybe down the road Ill get over my past issues with it.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I was like that for several years after the squirrels decided to break it 20 or 30 times in 3-4 months. But after maybe 6-7 years of not touching it, I started using it again and it worked it's way back up to being my second favorite OS after Debian.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

New version 2020.07.15 was released today, https://distrowatch.com/10969
Site Moderator