Odd fonts?

Report problems with the forums
tlmiller

Odd fonts?

Post by tlmiller »

So, just wondering if the site uses an odd font package. On here with void linux it looks HORRIBLE. But I've checked quite a few other pages that I frequent (linux forums, facebook, reddit, paintball sites, CJ Pony Parts, American Muscle), and they all look fine, so I'm wondering if it's just an uncommon font that Void simply doesn't have...
tlmiller

Re: Odd fonts?

Post by tlmiller »

Definitely is the fonts. In Firefox I turned off the option "allow pages to set their own fonts" and now the forums look fantastic.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive never noticed any issues with odd fonts on my end. Im using a number of distros and browsers and havent had an issue.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, the OS's you use probably have a FAR FAR FAR larger selection of fonts than Void has. It has NOWHERE near as many fonts as most distro's.
chris

Post by chris »

Possibly this is caused by the "font-awesome" package, loaded (or not) by css?
However, 'xbps-query -Rs font' lists nearly 200 font-related packages - obviously including some font manipulation packages - but 100+ of these are actual fonts.
In my case I have zipped up all the fonts from my Windows font directory into types - OTF, TTF etc - and then installed into the /usr/share/fonts/directory.
I also have had no problems on this site.
Yes, I use void.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, they have lots of font related packages, but if you look, most of them aren't fonts, or they aren't WESTERN fonts. AT least a few dozen are Eastern & Far Eastern Fonts. Then there's font manipulation. Void doesn't have the amount of font packages that a lot of other distro's have. They have no packaged way of installing the free (as in beer) MS fonts unlike Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSuse, etc. They're missing several other fairly common fonts. And I'm willing to bet those are fonts that are used.
Void lacks a LOT of things that keep it from being truly just "usable" on a daily basis. Things like fonts that are common on the web. They're answer is "pull it from a Windows image and install". Well, I don't HAVE Windows to do that. So...not a good answer. I really wish Void were a "complete", usable OS. I've said from the start I think it has potential, but they simply lack SO MUCH, and they're perfectly fine with lacking those things. The lead Devs has no desire to add anything THEY PERSONALLY don't use. And while that's fine for them, it does make it difficult for others to like it. Which is why it repeatedly gets left on a VM for me and removed from real hardware. It's simply not complete enough to actually use on a daily basis.