What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

The E6420/30/40 all get quite hot when sitting on ones lap or say in bed with extended use versus the Chromebooks. The fans end up running a lot but none have ever had any stability issues.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I don't remember the e6440 getting hot. It's been so long since I had a exx20/30 that I barely remember the laptops at all.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

6440 was the best of the three but oh yes, it gets hot if you have it on your lap or a soft surface for too long.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just picked up another E6420 dirt cheap to play with as my other ones Ive been using for parts at times.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I honestly never thought I would turn into a mostly laptop user. Outside of my new gaming rig I use laptops for all my other work and needs. I buy older laptops add Linux and off we go. Ive been a desktop user for so long it took me awhile to change my habits.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've been using my desktop a LOT recently. Only becasue I'm stuck in the house and having to work, and of course dual monitors do make working a lot easier. I've got my work laptop on the docking station in case I need to do anything with the internal systems, but most of our stuff can be cloud managed and so my desktop does great. Also been playing my games again for the same reason. With needing to stay home, games have given me something to do in the evenings to keep from getting bored and not being able to sleep at night.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Same here as gaming keeps my mind distracted from the crazy situation. Im still working onsite in my community with a lot of restrictions.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

E6420 came in and is in excellent condition. Just put Feren OS on it after updating the bios and even the used battery is hanging in there at 81%.
Really like the E6420, my favorite in the series so far.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, at this point you've used everything in the E6xxxx series. The E6440 was the very last 6000 series Latitude. And the E6x30 was mostly identical to the 20, except slightly different coloration (darker greys, I believe), and of course having Ivy Bridge instead of Sandy Bridge. But the actual chassis was the same design, the LCD's were the same, the batteries were the same, the optical bay options were the same. Even the ports were pretty darn close to the same (not quite, but close being that the 30 had USB 3.0, the 20 didn't).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Differences though in their hardware, mobos, firmware and bios made for a different experience and some problems at times with Linux and various hard drives. 6430 and 6440 had some issues I never experienced with the 6420 but yes overall very few differences and thru the 6430 pretty much the same physical look overall. For instance, installed the exact same version of Q4OS KDE on the 6440,6430 and 6420 using a ssd and the 6430 and 6440 both come up with a invalid partition table at boot(hit enter to continue) but the 6420 doesnt. Different reactions from the 30/40 with other distros that dont happen with the 20 so it was interesting. Given the 6420 is older I actually thought it would have more issues but that wasnt the case.
Site Moderator