What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

I know the feeling as the 5676 really got me back into gaming after a long hiatus on pc.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The Crucial ddr4 2666mhz 2x8gb ram worked fine as the bios picked it up and CPUID said it was running at 1330mhz. No issues at all, so it appears this system does support 2666 ram if it has spd mapping.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Here on the 7400 tonight. This really is a great "traditional" clamshell laptop. We use the 2-in-1 version at work (which I do prefer that it has 2 USB-C ports instead of a barrel connector and a USB-C), but given that the same specs the clamshell is $300 cheaper, I prefer the clamshell version overall.

I went ahead and ordered some Crucial ram for the desktop myself. I ordered some of the grey heatspreader DDR4 2666, and am just returning the HyperX. The HyperX is much prettier, but not being compatible with the board (and it might work with the newer bios, but it also may lose support for the cpu) just makes it a total pain to get working. And the price difference wasn't actually that much.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The Crucial ddr4 2666 ram I bought is the plain no heatspreader version but given how cool my case is, it doesnt really matter. Ill continue to use Crucial ram for the forseeable future. Typically with Dell systems Hynix is the most common compatible ram.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I don't actually NEED the heatspreaders, but I like the way it looks. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

If my case had a window and I could see that would be another story.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

My case has three RGB fans but I leave them off (the light that is) as I don't really sit looking at the box, The CPU fan is also RGB although I do leave that one on. I haven't really monitored the fans for their efficiency but my temps do not go too high even when running Cinebench so I figure there isn't a problem and so resort to the phrase "if it aint broke don't fix it" :D

As for memory, I cheaped out a bit on the build and have some cheap RAM with no heat-spreaders or RGB, but it does seem to be working as it should and I haven't noticed any bottleneckes yet but I'm sure I could find some if I tested it more thoroughly.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I don't actually care for RGB in my case in general. I don't mind it TOO much, but it's nothing I'm big on. The replacement fan I bought with just blue instead of RGB since there's only 2 colors I'd actually use on the stock (blue and purple), so either way it'll look good with them. And even then, I only got it with any color because it was $.20 more than the same fan without LED's (which is the cheapest 80+ cfm 120mm fan they had). So my thinking is why not since it has a plexiglass side.

I always monitor temps at first when I build something to make sure it's working effectively, and that's where I was running into issues with this one. Due to how completely worthless the stock fans were, everything was overheating for idle temps. The GPU (alarm at 94* C) was IDLING at 85* at first. CPU was idling at nearly 60* after ~60 minutes of being on. Those temps are simply higher than it should be given mostly idle. After replacing the fans, redoing the CPU's thermal compound, the GPU has dropped down into the lower 70's now, and the CPU is actually running just under 40*.

Took more extra expendature than I would have liked, but it's now a very nice running system.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I do quite like the effects of the lights, but ATM the box is sitting by my feet under the desk so most of the time I wouldn't even notice them :D I have a small table next to my desk which is where I will probably end up placing the box and then I might use them more as it can act as a kind of table lamp.
I have been monitoring the temps when gaming on my 2nd screen and I'm not pushing cpu at all, it's the graphics card that is the limit in my case, but I will definitely be running stock which should keep everything more cool anyway. And I replaced thermal paste before starting this one as I didn't want to have to keep pulling things apart too much
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I avoid placing my systems on the floor as they get quite dirty very quickly and I also like to tweak a bit, so having it next to my desk on a table allows me me more freedom.
Site Moderator