My "new" PC

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: My "new" PC

Post by crosscourt »

If the case was a bit taller the fans wouldnt be so close to the cpu fan interfering with its air flow.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

These fans don't move enough air to interfere with anything. From 1/2" you can't tell they're running. I had to find onion skin paper to test which side was blowing because the weight of normal paper made it so that it was too heavy for the airflow from them to move it. Yes, they're THAT pathetic.
They're now in the front of the case as intake "fans", and the new fans that are coming will be the exhaust fans.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

We did an article years ago at Arstechnica about the issues with fans too near the cpu fan that blows downward and the effect those fans had on the flow of air, even with pretty slow/crappy fans. Youd be surprised.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

These weren't intake fans, they were exhaust fans in their original position. Did take 5 minutes to figure this out because they weren't nice enough to put the arrows on them like most.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im referring to any exhaust fans in the close proximity to the cpu fan. Arguments went on for years about whether cpu fans should blow down or up in relation to the exhaust just behind or above the cpu fan. Thats why many cases offset exhaust fans in the back of the cases or put more distance between themselves and the cpu fans. BTX cases took this type of approach with its design to good affect.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Wow, the one exhaust fan is WAY nice. Comes with rubber sleeves for mounting both sides of the fan to work as shock absorbers, comes with 2 different cables for however long you need to power, just impressive. The other is your basic ordinary fan, blue plastic with LED's to glow blue. But works. While the cpu fan still spins up some, NOWHERE near the screaming it was doing!!
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

WOW, so there's about a 15* C difference from the original case fans that were in it to the new ones!!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

No doubt given how bad those fans were.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Now that I've got it with good negative pressure airflow (I'm a fan of negative, never been a great lover of positive pressure), temps are good (even the GPU temps have come down 6 or 7* C and it has it's own blower), and it's much more tolerable to the ears. Still a little louder than the Dell case was, but also seems to be running faster, so quite tolerable trade-off. I'll be keeping my eye out for a used 2700x or 3700x to upgrade to, but it's definitely quite tolerable in the meantime.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im headed for a 2600 down the road but very happy with what I have. Im also in the negative pressure airflow camp.
Site Moderator