Atheros firmware broken in latest linuxfirmware Arch Linux

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Atheros firmware broken in latest linuxfirmware Arch Linux

Post by tlmiller »

So, I think I'm probablly the only person that reads these boards that uses Arch, but just in case there is any others, the lastest version of linux-firmware in Arch (linux-firmware-20190313.efd2c1c-1-any.pkg.tar.xz) is broken. Again. You'll need to manually revert to the previous version that works fine (linux-firmware-20190212.28f5f7d-1-any.pkg.tar.xz)

Code: Select all

pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/linux-firmware-20190212.28f5f7d-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
and reboot to have wifi again.

This is honestly getting old, enough so that I'm debating removing Arch from this laptop. Seems literally every other version of the firmware they're breaking the Atheros firmware. I'm seriously considering moving back to Debian on this laptop, or maybe go back to Fedora just to try it again. My other laptop with Arch (7490) has Intel wifi which hasn't had any issues for years on Arch, so that one won't be changed anytime soon.
crosscourt

Re: Atheros firmware broken in latest linuxfirmware Arch Linux

Post by crosscourt »

Ive always had more issues with Atheros versus Broadcom and Intel. Many times I swapped out Atheros for Intel just to avoid issues.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I haven't had issues with Atheros in Debian or Ubuntu in the last 4 or 5 years. Only Arch has been problematic.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I use older hardware so its always a crap shoot.
Site Moderator