KDE Neon 20190418 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

KDE Neon 20190418 released

Post by crosscourt »

Got this one in rather late but just reinstalled it. https://neon.kde.org

Initial install of the older version wouldnt run on my Dell 7010 Optiplex but this version ran fine. I hate the fact that they dont include Muon or Synaptic and force you to use Discover initially, otherwise a minimalist install that allows you to add what you prefer to use.

Very lightweight distro as it runs very well in live session and only uses 425mbs at GUI.

If you want to run the latest KDE apps this is what you want.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: KDE Neon 20190418 released

Post by tlmiller »

This is actually what I just downloaded and installed on my work laptop. XPS 13 9370. FANTASTIC laptop, lightweight, small, just absolutely well done so far. Also far beyond my price range.

Works well so far, haven't found any issues.

Unlike CC I actually like the minimalist, and wish they didn't even include Discover, as it's the first thing that I uninstall (I also don't install muon or synaptic). The minimalist start to Neon is so refreshing from all the "kitchen sink" choices of many distros.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im not against minimalist distros as I run quite a few but when Im running KDE I actually prefer getting most of the apps up front.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I don't run most of the apps. So most KDE distro's I have to uninstall a LOT. That was my biggest peave with Kubuntu and Fedora. Of course, with the new "minimal" install, I like Kubuntu much more again. And I don't mind Fedora since I found the netinstall image. So can get an absolute minimal installation that way. Of course there are obviously other things I dislike about running Fedora now that I've found another RPM distro that actually works.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

ROSA has definitely become my favorite RPM distro but waiting on Mageia and OpenMandriva.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I do look forward to OpenMandriva. I've basically given up on Mageia. I've had too many issues just getting the last few versions to RUN on anything I own, that it and PCLOS are the only 2 distro's that won't just run on whatever I have, so I've completely abandoned bothering with those 2.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I just tried PCLOS 2019.3 and it left me a bit cold. Mageia 6.1 Im still running but agree it tends to have too many little issue even though in my case its not too bad. ROSA by far is the nicest RPM distro Ive used and also one of the best KDE distros Ive used.
Ill still give Mageia a look but OM is what Im waiting for.
Site Moderator