Top 5 Linux distros April 2019

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: Top 5 Linux distros April 2019

Post by tlmiller »

I like being able to pin applications to a certain activity (so I can start my email, it will start up on my activity called "mail" and I'll never see it while I'm on my "desktop" activity). Set different wallpapers for different activities. I like being able to launch certain programs without a window border, but only the ones I WANT, not all, and easily with a couple clicks bring back the window border if I decide I want it, but it won't change how it launches the next time, still with no border. Force applications to start maximized for certain apps, but allow them to still resize. Force them to start at certain location on the desktop, but allow me to move them. I like having a menu that isn't "enclosed" and can take the entire screen if it's large enough, without having to scroll (this is huge, and one of my biggest peaves with Windows in the last dozen years, I HATE the newer menus).

Yes, some of those are implemented, although IMO not as easy as in KDE. Others I haven't found any way to do those things outside KDE Plasma/Trinity.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:45 am Centaurus testing???? Didnt realize you were using it. Glad to see we agree on Neon and ROSA.
Here's my little Acer w/ q4os testing on it:

As you can see, I've got multiple programs running. And Thunderbird is running on the second workspace. And no performance issues with that despite only having the low end Celeron w/ 4 GB ram and a eMMC drive.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Thanks for showing and explaining that to me. I don't have a need for anything that complex,but it's good to know that's available.... :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont use multiple workspaces and I prefer as simple a setup as possible that will get out of the way and allow me to get things done. Im more from the Torvalds school of distros. My work is mostly online hardware/distro testing and writing of articles and editing. Tlmiller is in the tech biz so his needs are far different from most average users. I do see now in more detail, why you dislike some DEs as your usage pattern is more complex overall.
Site Moderator