ROSA R11 released

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Re: ROSA R11 released

Post by tlmiller »

Right now I'm mostly using Fedora, since it's on my newest piece of hardware. Once the "oooooh, new and shiny" wears off, I'll return to mostly using Debian, KDE Neon, and Arch that seem to have really settled as my 3 most reliable distro's overall (as long as you don't put arch on something that has Ahteros wireless).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im going to try and install KDE Neon on my laptop today and see what happens.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Reinstalled Rosa R11 as its been almost a year since last time. Not much has changed as it still uses KDE 5.14.4 and the most recent ESR version of Firefox and Thunderbird, But Chromium is pretty up to date at version 80. LibreOffice is 6.3.5 and most of the other apps are updated but not most recent. Nothing has changed in the overall design and beware of the testing repos if you want to update your kernel. I had some issues but was able to get the most recent version of the 4.15 kernel. Stable,fast no hardware issues and still a very nice distro for doing things everyday. I had originally tried to install OpenMandriva 4.1 and ran into many issues so decided to give Rosa a try. Its still my favorite RPM distro for now.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Using a version of plasma older than Debian for me is a showstopper unless one of 2 things is true:
1. The OS is geared toward servers
2. Debian just had a major release within the last 6 months.

Given neither of those is true, I would be a hard "no" on this.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Given most of the Debian distros Ive used are still using 5.14.5 its not that big an issue for me. Most of their offerings on their site are server/business oriented so who knows.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Apprently a newer version is coming no sooner than June but probably later.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

For some reason Rosa isnt working properly in regards to display resolutions. Only 1600x900 works properly otherwise I get a sidebar on the right side and my home icon is sitting in the middle of the screen. Seems to be a bug of some kind and honestly with so few updates it may not be worth my while to bother with it.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Still using ROSA and they updated Chromium to 81 but Firefox is still on 68ESR. KDE is 5.14.4 which isnt great but actually better than a number of other KDE distros like SolydXK for instance. Comparing it to PCLinuxOS its way behind as PCLOS uses the latest KDE with the 5.6 kernel and latest versions of Chrome and Firefox.
ROSA runs well though and is stable and causes no major issues.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They have a 5.4 kernel available that I just installed with no issues. Looking through their offerings to see if any other more updated apps are available.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Firefox 76 was available, as well as Thunderbird 68 and LibreOffice is at 6.3.5. Nvidia gpu seems to be supported just fine and no cpu usage, temp or resource issues. Overall a very good experience. Will be testing it and if nothing odd happens will become a favorite given how much I like its design overall.
Site Moderator