Anarchy Linux

Discussion on Linux distributions
tlmiller

Anarchy Linux

Post by tlmiller »

So, this is one of my favorite distro's, however it's not really very popular, so thought I'd write a bit about it.

It used to be called Arch-Anywhere. Mostly, it's scripts to make installing Arch significantly less suicide-inducing. If you've never installed Arch linux the "Arch" way, don't. It's long, it's involved, it's fully manual, and it's horribly stupid. However, the OS is fantastic.

That's where Anarchy comes in. I use the minimal ISO, so boots to a CLI login. However, has full networking ability, and #3 in the menu (network test) actually has the ability to establish wifi connections as well (I did my install over wifi). Then option 1 starts the installation. While not pretty since there's no gui in this installer, it's quite easy, with simple prompts, and if you choose will handle partitioning of your drive automatically.

One of the nicest things is that it allows you to choose a LOT of stuff that it'll preinstall for you, so you don't have to. Such as, I choose install a minimal KDE Plasma desktop, gimp, darktable, pinta, clementine, smplayer + mpv, glabels, and lots of other software I like right during the install, so once complete and I reboot, I have a fully functional, and nearly completely set up to my preferences desktop (it doesn't have options for everything I like, and there's some things I have to install from AUR).

Anarchy also has their own repos, and offers the ability to install some of that as well, however you can also choose NOT to install it and have an Arch installation that's just like having done it the Arch way except for taking 10 minutes instead of 2 hours, and no slit wrists from having to do every single step manually.

If anyone's ever wanted to try out Arch because they hear how fast and amazing it is (it is great, but honestly not any faster than Debian when using amd64 architecture on both IMO), this is by far my favorite Arch installer.
crosscourt

Re: Anarchy Linux

Post by crosscourt »

Never heard of it and its not in the top 100 over at Distrowatch.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, it's not incredibly popular. They changed their name due to some questions about the legality of using Arch in it. Doubt it'll ever be all that popular, but IMO it's the best of the "Arch with a non-wrist slitting installer". Antergos is #2 to me. A bit larger, a bit slower to boot the installer, and not as flexible. Still a good OS, and probably better for Windows converts who won't like being in a text UI (although they DO have a gui installer, I just never have used it).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Manjaro Im going to test here shortly but i dont deal with Arch much as most of the people I work with who want to use Linux want something good out of the box with good support.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Arch actually has great support...if you can deal with their forums. They're some of the most antisocial regimented individuals in the world. And if there's something that's 'CLEARLY' covered in the wiki/man pages, god forbid you ask for clarification. Yeah, I don't like dealing with the Arch forums much, so I can understand. Luckily I've been using it long enough that I know most of the big gotchas for it. I honestly think Arch would be MUCH more popular than it is if they'd just make it much less hostile environment.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im talking newbies and beginners who I would never suggest to them Arch as their first experience. Q4OS has done well as we offer 20 distros as demos, but Mint, MX Linux 17, Lubuntu,PCLinuxOS and Q4OS have been the most popular. Yes i dont like their forums given the many friendly forums ive been on like PCLOS.

Right now though from wanderings in many forums and working with charity tech groups to distribute free hardware, Linux mint XFCE and MX Linux 17 have really become popular. We arent the only ones using them, good pr travels fast.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Anarchy just made onto Distrowatch rankings, lets see what happens.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Heres a good walk through and preview,

www.lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=252156
Site Moderator