Reasons to get excited about KDE in 2018

Discussion on Linux distributions
crosscourt

Re: Reasons to get excited about KDE in 2018

Post by crosscourt »

Thats what PCLinuxOS KDE-mini is a minimalist KDE install. Depends on the OS as i use to use Bodhi because it was very minimalist and i added what I wanted. Now there are so many good compact lightweight distros i dont have to concern myself with that. There was a rush of minimalist distros for awhile but now i tend to install and pull out or add what I need regardless of the OS. Im at a point where I just want the OS to work, as I dont have the time to fool around with it for daily work.

Fedora is mixed bag as some versions are amazing and others have big problems. I ended up running Korora for awhile as i got tired of adding things the hard way in Fedora. PCLOS and Mageia default to the Nvidia proprietary drivers which for my desktop system is a plus.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

PCLOS has always lacked just too much of the software I prefer for me. Good OS otherwise, but too much hassle getting things installed. Haven't used it in a bit over a year, so might have changed.

Mageia I generally tend to love the odd releases, and hate the evens. Loved 3, hated 4, loved 5, and haven't liked 6. I've done 2 bare metal installs, both had issues of varying degrees, and a single VM install, which was utterly broken after installing (downloaded new iso every time since this wasn't back to back to back).

I don't actually care for most minimalist distro's since i like minimalist only so that I don't have to remove something. So if it's a minimal gui, such as XFCE-based, or LXDE, or any WM based, that means I need to remove stuff. So I prefer netinstall. I only really like 2 DE's, Trinity and Plasma 5. Anything else, I won't use it beyond a few days unless it's got all the bells and whistles of Gnome 3/KDE Plasma 5, while not having anywhere near the hideous looks of Gnome 3. Thus far haven't found anything. Even Cinnamon I find disappointing, as it's lacking some of the bells and whistles of Gnome/KDE. I think XFCE is just putrid looking. I've seen attractive implementations (actually, GalliumOS is nice looking), but don't know how to configure XFCE well enough to make it look that good, and given that Trinity is lighter and faster, and Plasma is still better looking, not inclined to learn. However, most XFCE implementations are decidedly NOT attractive to me.

Although I do agree about I just want the OS to work. I don't mind taking some time to set it up to be exactly what I want, but once done, I don't want to have to constantly baby-sit it, I just want to turn it on, use it, turn it off. This is my knock against Gentoo & Slackware always. Slackware just takes too much time managing it, and Gentoo just takes too long to update and I get impatient and shut it down, and after a few months I've got a horrendously out of date system because it's NEVER finished a single upgrade.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Mageia 6 so far has been amazing, excellent release and long term testing has been good. PCLinuxOS at least(honestly for quite awhile) recent has always had a great selection of software in their repos. Im always pleased with what they offer including Firefox 57 which Mageia 6 does not offer.

We are quite different as I love XFCE and use it a lot but also run KDE 5. I dont use much else except for testing. I dont object to LXDE as its great for older systems. Like TDE but its got a ways to go still but its relatively new. Ive been running PCLOS Trinity but honestly my like for TDE has slowly faded.
MX Linux 17 is one of the nicest XFCE distros ive ever used and replaced Q4OS as my go to OS for daily needs. i dont run Q4OS anymore except on my test system. Ill give it a look down the road as it progresses and 2.4 was a huge improvement over 1.8.

I dont mind tweaking an OS and i play with OS all the time but when it comes to my main system for daily work i want something straightforward and easy to use.
Overall i remain a RPM guy with MX17 my one exception.

Getting back to the topic though I remain a fan of KDE and use it on my RPM based distros.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Currently my only rpm distro installed is Fedora (also on my Acer right now until I figure out what to replace it with) and both are KDE Plasma 5. It's tolerable on the Acer, although far from what you'd call fast. On my E5430, it's what you'd call fast.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im impressed with the Arch deirvatives like Manjaro that have surplanted debian on the distrowatch rankings and gained wide acceptance.

Im trying to decide what my next install will be as part of me wants to go with Fedora or korora and the other Gecko or OpenSUSE.

Netrunner is also Debian based so I might give that a look.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Last time I tried netrunner I was underwhelmed. It seemed to be much slower than Debian proper with nearly the same packages installed. Not SLOW, mind you, just SLOWER than what spawned it (on the same hardware, it was a 5th generation core w/ 16 GB ram that I got rid of about 4 months ago). Manjaro always seems to work GREAT at first, and then after 6 months or so it starts having odd issues. I know a couple people that have seen that activity, so I prefer straight Arch to it myself.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They use Gnome shell at least when it was Ubuntu based same as Zorin which seems to slow things down quite a bit. I havent tried Manjaro yet but Ill get to the Arch based distros very soon.
Site Moderator